Children and Young People
All children in Australia are important. In 2009, the Commonwealth, state and territory governments and the community sector all agreed to a national guide to make sure children and young people stay safe and well. It is called the National Framework for Protecting Australia’s Children 2009–2020.
Every three years an action plan is developed under the Framework. These plans set out important actions that everyone has agreed to take over the next three years.
A summary of the Third Action Plan has been developed for children and young people.
Who is it for?
The Third Action Plan Children’s Summary is for everybody. It was produced as an easy-read summary of the Third Action Plan.
What does it cover?
It is a summary of the aims of the Third Action Plan and what will be done over the next three years to make a difference in the lives of children and young people.
Families, children and young people, and organisations that help protect children spoke to us during the development of the Third Action Plan. They told us the following things will help make sure children and young people are safe:
- helping parents look after their children
- helping young people in out-of-home care as they become independent adults
- helping organisations to look out for children and young people and know how to protect them
Children and young people, as well as people who work with children and young people, will continue to contribute to the discussion about how to improve their safety and wellbeing.
Help and information
- Kids Helpline
- Think you Know
- The Line
- Child Family Community Australia – Helplines and Counselling services
Children’s Commissioners and Guardians
- National Children’s Commissioner
- ACT Human Rights Commission
- NSW Children's Guardian
- Vic Office for the Child Safety Commissioner
- Tas Commissioner for Children
- NT Children's Commissioner
- Qld Commission for Children and Young people and Child Guardian
- WA Commissioner for Children and Young People
- SA Office of the Guardian for Children and Young People
State and territory government websites
- ACT Office for Children, Youth and Family Services
- NSW Commission for Children and Young People
- NSW Department of Community Services
- Vic Department of Human Services
- Tas Department of Health and Human Services
- NT Department of Health and Families, Community Services and Indigenous Affairs
- Qld Department of Communities
- SA Department for Education and Child Development
- WA Department of Child Protection
- WA Department for Communities