Careers and employment
The Department of Social Services (DSS) is at the centre of the Australian Government's social policy agenda. A career with us is challenging and meaningful.
We are a people-based organisation that offers flexible working conditions. There are opportunities for promotion and development in a career where you can make a difference to your community.
We offer our employees the opportunity to work on priority government initiatives, including:
- developing social policy
- grant management
- program management.
Read our Annual Report to learn more about how we improve the wellbeing of individuals and families in Australian communities.
We also support corporate activities in the department such as:
- human resources
- information and records management
Read our Corporate Plan to find out more about our purposes, outcomes, programs and priorities.
Diversity and inclusion is very important to us. We encourage applications from all eligible and interested people. Find out more about our diverse and inclusive workforce.
You can apply for many different opportunities including:
- Senior Executive Service positions
- Australian Public Service positions – ongoing and non-ongoing opportunities
- Short-term temporary employment
Entry-Level programs including:
- Graduate Development Program
- Indigenous Australian Government Development Program (managed by the Department of Employment and Workplace Relations)
- Ability Apprenticeship Program
Learn more about:
- Working with us
- Applying with us
- Our diverse and inclusive workforce
- Security checks and process
- Current pay scales
- Our Enterprise Agreement