2024 Graduate Development Program
Your career starts here
Are curious and inquisitive?
Do you have a passion to help and support the wellbeing of Australians?
Then, we want to hear from you!
The Department of Social Services is a friendly department with the important mission to improve the wellbeing of individuals and families in Australian communities.
Application opening times
Applications for the 2024 Graduate Development Program are now closed.
Why choose us?
Our graduate program gives you the opportunity to make a difference to the lives of some of the most vulnerable people in our society.
You will be provided with varied work experience, formal training, networking opportunities and diverse career opportunities across the department.
The program starts in February 2024 for 10 months. In this time, you will:
- start at APS Level 3 (plus 15.4% superannuation) salary equal to $66,878 per annum
- have 2 five-month work area placements (rotations) within our extensive portfolio
- experience a challenging and rewarding introduction to working in government
- participate in tailored learning and development activities and networking events
- have a Senior Executive Service mentor
- be based in Canberra with limited opportunities in our state offices
- have your relocation costs covered if you need to move
- have the chance to engage in short-term placements in not-for-profit organisations, Services Australia service centres and other Portfolio Agencies
- have 18 days of personal leave and up to 4 weeks annual leave per year.
When you successfully graduate from the program, you will gain a permanent APS Level 5 position.
Who we are looking for?
- Eager learners.
- Curious and inquisitive people who can generate new and innovative ideas and solutions.
- Resilient and courageous team players with good judgement and sound decision-making skills.
- Great communicators.
- A Diverse and inclusive workforce, particularly graduates with disability, and those from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander and culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
- Be an Australian citizen.
- Have completed your qualification no more than 5 years prior to December 2023.
- Provide evidence of your qualifications.
- Undergo identification, pre-employment screening and security checks.
- Obtain and maintain an Australian Government Security Vetting Agency clearance.
Learn more about:
- The Graduate application process
- Graduate pathways
- Working with us
- Graduate Frequently Asked Questions
Know someone who might be interested in a spot in our 2024 Graduate Program?
Share this page with them – you never know, you might make their career!
Email GraduateRecruitment@dss.gov.au about the Graduate Development Program.