Ability Apprenticeship Program
Do you want to start a rewarding career in the Australian Public Service?
Would you like the opportunity to play a role in helping improve the wellbeing of individuals and families in Australian communities?
Are you looking for a supportive working arrangement with skill and career development opportunities?
The Ability Apprenticeship Program is designed to create pathways for people with disability into secure, ongoing employment within the department and the broader Australian Public Service (APS) and act as a stepping stone towards a participant’s long-term career aspirations.
Applications for the 2022 Ability Apprenticeship Program are now closed.
About the program
- the program commences in March/April 2022 for a duration of 12 months
- positions will be located in Canberra, Sydney, Melbourne, Hobart, Perth, and Adelaide
- roles will vary around administration, policy development and service delivery
- a rewarding introduction to working in government and being part of the Australian Government’s social policy agenda
- commence at APS Level 3 and advance to APS Level 4 on successful completion of program
- participants will receive workplace learning and individualised flexible training, development and support options committed to their personal and professional growth
- the department will provide reasonable workplace adjustments to enable all staff to perform at their full capability
- starting salary of $63,719 (pro-rata for part-time)
- superannuation contributions of 15.4%
- 18 days of personal leave per year (pro-rata for part-time)
- 4 weeks annual leave (pro-rata for part-time)
- the department fosters a strong wellbeing culture with access to a range of health and wellbeing initiatives including a free Employment Assistance Program
- the department has Employee Diversity Networks, Committees and Champions, and will link you with other participants in the program for peer support and additional training.
Who are we looking for?
- Individuals with career experience
- Curious and inquisitive learners
- Those that can generate new and innovative ideas and solutions to help drive success
- Team players with good judgement and decision-making skills.
- The positions in this program are specifically for people with disability
- You must be an Australian citizen
- You must be at least 18 years old
- You can obtain and maintain an Australian Government Security Vetting Agency clearance.
Do you know someone who might be interested in our 2022 Ability Apprenticeship Program?
Share this page with them – you never know, you might make their career!
For enquiries about the Ability Apprenticeship Program, please email us at AbilityProgram@dss.gov.au