Diverse and inclusive workforce
We want a diverse and inclusive workforce that reflects the broader Australian community. We are committed to:
- increasing the diverse representation of employees within the Department
- building good working relationships to drive our portfolio initiatives.
We strive to provide a workplace for all staff to thrive and succeed. We will do this by providing:
- an inclusive culture that celebrates differences
- leadership that drives cultural change.
We have many staff-led diversity committees and networks in our Department. Our Diversity and Inclusion team works with these groups to drive positive change. The groups include:
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Staff National Committee and Network
- Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Committee and Network
- Disability and Carers Committee and Network
- DSS Pride Committee and Network
- Gender Equality Network.
We maintain membership with several diversity bodies and encourage our staff to access these resources:
- Australian Network on Disability
- Diversity Council of Australia
- Pride in Diversity
- Reconciliation Australia.
We follow a range of strategies and action plans to help shape and support our workforce.
Government-wide strategies and plans include:
- Commonwealth Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Workforce Strategy 2020 – 2024
- APS Disability Employment Strategy 2021 – 2026
- Australia’s Disability Strategy 2021 – 2031
- Australian Public Service Gender Equality Strategy 2021 – 26
- APS Mental Health Capability Framework.
Department specific strategy and plans include:
- Reconciliation Action Plan 2021 – 2024
- Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan 2022 – 2024
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Workforce Action Plan.
Read more about how we support our staff: