Disability Royal Commission support services

The Australian Government is funding free and independent counselling and advocacy support for people engaging with or affected by the Disability Royal Commission.

About the Disability Royal Commission

The Royal Commission into Violence, Abuse, Neglect and Exploitation of People with Disability (Disability Royal Commission) will run for three years until 2022.

For information about the work of the Disability Royal Commission, including attending public hearings or making a submission call 1800 517 199 or visit disability.royalcommission.gov.au

About support services

Fact sheets and resources

Counselling support

Free counselling support from Blue Knot Foundation is now available for people with disability, their families and carers, and anyone affected by the Disability Royal Commission.

Call the National Counselling and Referral Service on 1800 421 468 or (02) 6146 1468 to find:

  • support for your emotional wellbeing
  • support for making choices about telling your story
  • information on other practical supports available to you.

Open 9am to 6pm weekdays or 9am to 5pm weekends AEDT.

The National Counselling and Referral Service may refer you to another counselling organisation in your state or territory if more in-depth counselling support is required. Find Disability Royal Commission counselling support services in your area.

If you are currently experiencing any form of violence or abuse, or are concerned for your safety, call the police on 000.

Advocacy support

The Australian Government is extending the National Disability Advocacy Program (NDAP) to include individual advocacy support for people who need extra support to engage with the Disability Royal Commission.

Advocacy support is for people with disability (or family members or carers acting on their behalf) who may have difficulty in communicating or understanding how to engage with the Commission.

An advocate will be able to help people with disability to understand how to tell their story to the Disability Royal Commission, how to work out problems or avoid discriminatory issues, find communication supports such as interpreters, and access other supports such as legal or financial services. Find Disability Royal Commission advocacy support services in your area.

Legal and financial support

A free legal advisory service from National Legal Aid and the National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Legal Services can help you to:

  • understand your legal rights and options for engaging with the Disability Royal Commission
  • assist you to prepare for submissions or private sessions
  • find out about financial assistance that may be available to you.

You can contact National Legal Advisory Service directly on 1800 771 800 (9.15 am-5.15 pm AEDT, Monday to Friday) to register your interest.

The Attorney-General’s Department can help you:

  • find out about financial assistance that is available if you have your own lawyer
  • explain how to apply

You can contact the Financial Assistance Section directly on 1800 117 995 (9am – 5pm) AEDT, Monday to Friday. If you are deaf, or have a hearing or speech impairment, you can also call the National Relay Service and give 02 6141 4770 as the number you would like to call.

More information

Last updated: