Talking with young people about the National Framework
Outcomes of conversations with young people about the National Framework for Protecting Australia’s Children 2009-2020
The Commonwealth Department of Social Services (DSS) engaged the CREATE Foundation and the National Children’s Commissioner to undertake a series of consultations in 2017 with young people across Australia about the three strategies outlined in the Third Action Plan:
- Early intervention with a focus on the early years, particularly the first 1000 days for a child
- Helping young people in out-of-home care to thrive into adulthood
- Organisations responding better to children and young people to keep them safe.
The aim of the consultations was to understand the views of Australian young people on the strategies set out in the Third Action Plan and to ensure their views were considered in the ongoing review and implementation of the National Framework and Third Action Plan.
The report includes key messages from parents and young people who:
- were under 18 and about to leave care
- were under 18 and moving towards leaving care
- had already turned 18 and had left care.