Family Violence and Partner Visas factsheet

People who are on a Partner visa do not have to stay in an abusive relationship to stay in Australia.

In Australia, domestic and family violence is not accepted.

A partner, family members or other people in the community cannot threaten your visa status.

If you hold a temporary Partner visa (subclass 309 or 820) or a Prospective Marriage visa (subclass 300) and experience family violence, and your relationship has ended, there are provisions in Australia’s migration laws to allow you to continue with your permanent Partner visa (subclass 100 or 801) application.

If you or someone you know is in danger call the police on 000.

Police in Australia are safe and can be trusted.

For free, confidential counselling and information call 1800 RESPECT on 1800 737 732.

If you need a free interpreter call 131 450.

The Australian Government does not tolerate domestic and family violence under any circumstances.

Domestic and family violence are crimes against the law. A person who commits domestic or family violence can go to jail, whether they are a man or a woman.

Domestic and family violence is behaviour or threats that aim to control a partner by causing fear for safety or wellbeing.

Anyone experiencing domestic and family violence in Australia can get help from support services.

You can get help no matter your visa or immigration status.

It doesn’t matter if the relationship has ended or not – you can still get help.

1800RESPECT is Australia’s national sexual assault, family and domestic violence counselling service. It provides free, confidential telephone and online counselling and information. Counsellors will listen to you, answer questions and can refer you to other support services in your local area.

Call 1800 737 732 or go to the 1800RESPECT website at

Do you need an interpreter?

Call the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) on 131 450. An interpreter from TIS can help you to communicate with other services, however TIS does not provide counselling. All calls are free and confidential.

For more information on the family violence if you have a visa:

Further information on family violence and visas is on the Department of Home Affairs website at

Last updated: