KPMG Final Report – National Standards for Out of Home Care (2010)
Aim of publication
This report looks at improvements in the quality of out-of-home care to ensure that children and young people living in care have the same opportunity to achieve their full potential as others.
It is a priority under the National Framework for Protecting Australia’s Children 2009–2020 (the National Framework).
Who is it for?
This report is for is for policy makers and service providers. This report contains information that may also be of interest to anyone involved with children in out-of-home care.
This report covers:
- the number of children in out-of-home care
- current of out-of-home care services in Australia and the need for the development of the National Standards
- outcomes for children and young people living in out-of-home care including the six areas of wellbeing and positive outcomes
- perspectives from young people, carers, government and non-government and how this feedback shaped the National Standards
- the principles and overview of the proposed National Standards
- the issues that require attention for a smooth implementation process
- the alignment of the proposed National Standards to current State and Territory standards.