The new Act is called the Workplace Gender Equality Act and the Equal Opportunity for Women in the Workplace Agency is now the Workplace Gender Equality Agency.
The principal objects of the amended Act are:
- to promote and improve gender equality (including equal remuneration between women and men) in employment and in the workplace; and
- to support employers to remove barriers to the full and equal participation of women
in the workforce, in recognition of the disadvantaged position of women in relation to employment matters; and
- to promote, amongst employers, the elimination of discrimination on the basis of gender in relation to employment matters (including in relation to family and caring responsibilities); and
- to foster workplace consultation between employers and employees on issues concerning gender equality in employment and in the workplace; and
- to improve the productivity and competitiveness of Australian business through the advancement of gender equality in employment and in the workplace.
You can view the amended Act, the Explanatory Memorandum or the index page at the house of representatives website.
Information regarding the new reporting matters under the Act, and the consultation process and publicly available comments can now be viewed.
Information about the review of the Equal Opportunity for Women in the Workplace Act (the EOWW Act) and Agency (EOWA) is also available.