- The National Framework for Protecting Australia's Children
- Implementing the first three-year action plan: 2009 - 2012
- Implementing the second three-year action plan: 2012 - 2015
- News and Events
- Further information
On 30 April 2009 the Council of Australian Governments (COAG) endorsed the first National Framework for Protecting Australia's Children 2009-2020.
In response to the increasing number of Australian children who are being exposed to child abuse and neglect, the Commonwealth, State and Territory Governments and the non-government sector through the Coalition of Organisations Committed to the Safety and Wellbeing of Australia’s Children are working together to implement a comprehensive national approach to protecting Australia’s children.
The National Framework outlines an ambitious, long term national approach to ensuring the safety and well-being of Australia’s children. It aims to deliver a substantial and sustained reduction in levels of child abuse and neglect over time. The National Framework is being implemented through a series of three-year action plans.
- Protecting Children is Everyone's Business: National Framework for Protecting Australia's Children 2009-2020
Implementation of the first three-year action plan (First Action Plan 2009-12) has been completed.
It outlined 12 National Priorities that focused action by the Commonwealth, state and territory governments and the non-government sector during the first three years of the National Framework. An additional National Priority, Working with Children Checks, was identified by Ministers in 2010.
Achievements under the First Action Plan 2009-12 are outlined in the National Framework Annual Reports.
- Annual Report to the Council of Australian Governments 2009-10
- Annual Report to the Council of Australian Governments 2010-11
- Annual Report to the Council of Australian Governments 2011-12
- Establishment of a National Children’s Commissioner
- Working with children checks
- National Standards for out-of-home care
- Support for carers
- Responding to sexual abuse
- Transitioning from out-of-home care to Independence: A Nationally Consistent Approach to Planning
Implementing the second three-year action plan: 2012-15
The second three-year action plan (Second Action Plan 2012-15) of the National Framework was endorsed by Community and Disability Services Ministers on 17 August 2012. The Second Action Plan will build on the firm foundation from the First Action Plan and will focus on working together with other areas of government and the community sector to:
- Embed National Priorities from the First Action Plan
- Deliver on National Priorities in the Second Action Plan
- Explore new priorities for the Second Action Plan and beyond.
This new e-newsletter is produced by the Department as a regular sector update to keep you informed about what the Government is doing to ensure the safety and wellbeing of Australia's children.
The Commonwealth Government has established a National Children’s Commissioner to help promote the rights, wellbeing and development of children and young people in Australia, and ensure their voices, including those of the most vulnerable, are heard at the national level.
The Australian Human Rights Commission Amendment (National Children’s Commissioner) Act 2012 was passed on 28 June 2012 to establish the National Children’s Commissioner position with the Australian Human Rights Commission.
The establishment of a National Children’s Commissioner is the key achievement of the Advocating Nationally for Children and Young People national priority under the First Three-Year Action Plan of the National Framework for Protecting Australia’s Children 2009-2020.
- Families Australia
- ACT Office for Children,Youth and Family Services
- ACT Human Rights Commission
- NSW Children's Guardian
- NSW Commission for Children and Young People
- NSW Department of Community Services
- Vic Office for the Child Safety Commissioner
- Vic Department of Human Services
- Tas Department of Health and Human Services
- Tas Commissioner for Children
- NT Department of Health and Families, Community Services and Indigenous Affairs
- NT Children's Commissioner
- Qld Department of Communities
- Qld Commission for Children and Young people and Child Guardian
- SA Department of Families and Communities
- SA Office of the Guardian for Children and Young People
- WA Department of Child Protection
- WA Department for Communities
- WA Commissioner for Children and Young People
- The Line
- Kids Helpline
- Think you Know
- Australian Crime Commission Report Australia's Response to Sexualised or Sexually Abusive Behaviours in Children and Young People