Benefits & Payments

Household Assistance Package

Millions of Australians will continue to receive assistance through the Australian Government’s Household Assistance Package. Between March this year and January 2014 ongoing increases will be made to existing government payments. You don’t have to do anything to receive the additional assistance; it will be paid automatically into your bank account. Continue reading about the Household Assistance Package.

Schoolkids Bonus

The Schoolkids Bonus commenced in 2013 and aims to help eligible families and students with the education related costs of primary and secondary school studies, such as school fees, uniforms, books and sports, music or other lessons. It replaced the Education Tax Refund, which means families and students no longer need to keep receipts for education expenses and claim them back at tax time. Continue reading about the Schoolkids Bonus.

Paid Parental Leave

Australia’s first national Paid Parental Leave scheme gives working mothers the financial security to stay at home with their newborn baby in those important first months of life. Continue reading about Paid Parental Leave.

Dad and Partner Pay

From 1 January 2013, new dads and same-sex partners benefit from Dad and Partner Pay. Eligible dads or partners receive two weeks’ pay at the national minimum wage so they can be at home for those very special and important first weeks with their new baby and support mums right from the start. Continue reading about Dad and Partner Pay.

Family Tax Benefit

Family Tax Benefit is a payment that helps with the cost of raising children.

It is made up of two parts: Family Tax Benefit Part A and Part B. Continue reading about Family Tax Benefit.

Australian Families on Facebook

The Australian Families Facebook page provides an accessible and user-friendly way for families to find out more about support for families and share their thoughts about parenting. The link is

Crisis Payment

Crisis Payment is a one-off payment provided to people who are in severe financial hardship and are receiving an income support payment. Continue reading about the Crisis Payment.

Transition to Independent Living Allowance

From 1 January 2014, changes to the Transition to Independent Living Allowance program (TILA) will improve support for young people making the transition from formal out-of-home care (formal care) arrangements to independent living. Continue reading about the Transition to Independent Living Allowance.

Department of Human Services

The Department of Human Services’ Families page has more details about payments and services for families.

Content Updated: 3 December 2013