Publications & Articles
Disaster and Emergencies
- Being Prepared – Pandemic Planning Tools for Non-Government Organisations
- National Principles for Disaster Recovery
- Spontaneous Volunteer Management Resource Kit
Community organisations and projects
- Relationship matters: not-for-profit community organisations and corporate community investment
- Community Business Partnership Resources
- 'Token participation' to 'engaged partnerships': Lessons learnt and challenges ahead for Australian not-for-profits
- Impact of the Economic Downturn on Not-for-Profit Organisation Management
- Impact of the Economic Downturn on Corporate Community Investment
- Where to from here: Options for growing a Community Development Financial Institutions sector in Australia
- Community Development Financial Institutions Pilot Evaluation
Young people and transition
- The transition from care: Avoidable costs to governments of alternative pathways of young people exiting the formal child protection care system in Australia.
- Wealth of All Nations: Identification of Strategies to Assist Refugee Young People in Transition to Independence
Financial Management Program
- Trial of Dynamic Warning Messages on Electronic Gaming Machines
The Australian Government, with the assistance of industry and the Queensland Government, conducted the first live trial of dynamic warning messages on electronic gaming machines. The trial tested a suite of messages in five venues across South-East Queensland.
- Gambling Research Australia (GRA)
Established by the Ministerial Council on Gambling (MCG) in 2003, Gambling Research Australia (GRA) is a national research program responsible for managing and implementing a national research agenda which will better provide understanding of problem gambling at a national level. The focus of GRA is to undertake research that will lead to the development of a range of measures to address problem gambling, and can be implemented by the states and territories.
The Victorian Department of Justice’s Office of Gaming and Racing provides secretariat services to GRA. The GRA website lists all of their commissioned research reports.
- National Snapshot of Harm Minimisation Strategies in Australia
This paper provides information on gambling harm minimisation strategies and initiatives by Australian governments
- Occasional Paper No. 33 - Problem gamblers and the role of the financial sector - 2011
The South Australian Centre for Economic Studies was asked to provide research and evaluation services to the Department on the issue of problem gamblers in Australia and their access to funds with which to gamble.
- Review of current and future trends in Interactive gambling activity and regulation (June 2009)
A literature review of the current trends and regulation of interactive gambling, both in Australia and overseas.
- Ministerial Council on Gambling: Progress Report to Council of Australian Governments on Implementation of the National Framework on Problem Gambling 2004-2008 (NFPG) 1 January 2006 to 31 December 2008
This is the second report by the Ministerial Council on Gambling on the implementation of the National Framework on Problem Gambling (NFPG). It covers the period 1 January 2006 to 31 December 2008.
- Ministerial Council on Gambling: Progress Report to Council of Australian Governments on Implementation of the National Framework on Problem Gambling 2004-2008 (NFPG) 2004 to December 2005
This is the first report by the Ministerial Council on Gambling on the implementation of the National Framework on Problem Gambling (NFPG). It covers the period 2004 to December 2005.
- Measurement of Prevalence of Youth Problem Gambling In Australia: Report on Review of Literature - December 2003
This report highlights the need for more streamlined and up-to-date ways to collect information on youth gambling and the impact of new technologies on their gambling behaviour
- Problem Gambling - ATM | EFTPOS Functions and Capabilities (September 2002) KPMG Consulting
The report contains 11 recommendations from independent research to assist Australian, State and Territory governments to develop a coordinated, national approach to the availability of ATM and EFTPOS machines at these venues.
Gambling Speeches and Media Releases
- Speech 22/03/2011: Remarks to National Churches Problem Gambling Forum - Canberra
- Speech 1/12/2010: 20th Annual Conference of the National Association for Gambling Studies, Gold Coast - Jupiter’s Hotel and Casino Gold Coast
- Media Release 19/6/2011: New Insight into how problem gamblers access money
- Media Release 27/05/2011: Tackling problem gambling in Australia
- Media Release 24/02/2011: Progressing important gambling reforms
- Media Release 1/02/2011: Release of legal advice on gambling reform
- Media Release 21/10/2010: Membership of the Ministerial Expert Advisory Group on Gambling announced
- Media Release 8/11/2010: First meeting of Ministerial Expert Advisory Group on Gambling
- Media Release 30/9/2010: New committee to progress gambling reform
- Media Release 21/09/2010: Tackling Problem Gambling
- Media Release 23/06/2010: Australian Government response to Productivity Commission Inquiry into Gambling – COAG Select Council on Gambling Reform
- Media Release 8/10/2009: National online gambling counselling service launched
- Spontaneous Volunteer Management Resource Kit
Available for download providing a range of resources to help support jurisdictions, municipalities and organisations to manage potential spontaneous volunteers during emergencies.
- Volunteering in Australia
The Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) collected information about voluntary work in Australia for the first time in 1995. Additional surveys in 2000 and 2006 provided more information about volunteers and the nature of their social contribution. The statistics presented in this publication are based on these three surveys.
- Passions, People and Appreciation: Making Volunteering Work for Young People
This report explores volunteering by young people aged 16–24 years in Australia through examination of survey material, discussions with groups of young people and interviews with community leaders and volunteer organisations.
- Statement on Australia's achievements for the International Year of Volunteers
Statement of International Year of Volunteers (IYV) activity in Australia prepared by the former Department of Family and Community Services for the Plenary Session of the 57th Session of the UN General Assembly
- International Year of Volunteers 2001 Evaluation Report
The former FaCS commissioned an evaluation of the initiatives undertaken or funded by the department to celebrate International Year of Volunteers 2001 in Australia.