The Graduate Development Program application process
The application process involves a number of stages and runs over several months. You will need to pass each stage in order to move to the next stage.
You will need the following information:
- personal particulars
- current employment details
- responses to the questions
- details of your qualification — completed 5 years before 31 December 2023
- your resume.
Complete an online work sample assessment — May 2023
Applicants moving to stage 2 participate in a work sample assessment. We will send you instructions on what you need to do.
If your online work sample assessment meets the requirements, you will be invited to participate in a video interview.
Video interview — May/June 2023
You should expect to answer up to 5 questions.
We recommend you prepare for the interview by:
- researching the Department of Social Services
- practicing possible responses before undertaking your final video interview
- ensuring the device you are using for your video is working
- ensure your video background is appropriate and the lighting is sufficient
- dress as if you were interviewing in person.
Referee reports — June/July 2023
Referee reports confirm information about your employment history, qualifications, experience and role suitability.
They also provide the selection panel with the opportunity to seek clarification on matters discussed during your assessment.
Merit pool and job matching— July/August 2023
At the completion of the application process, successful applicants move to the merit pool.
The merit pool contains more applicants than positions available. We use the merit pool to match the right jobs to the right people.
Receive verbal employment offer — August to December 2023
If you are successful in the matching process, we will contact you with an offer of employment. The offer is conditional until you complete the police check and baseline security clearance process. You can read more about what will be required in the employment checks.
We recommend you do not give notice to your current employer until you receive a formal, written offer of engagement and you have obtained the required clearances.
Learn more about
- Graduate Development Program
- Graduate pathways
- Graduate Development Program Frequently Asked Questions
- Working with us
Email GraduateRecruitment@dss.gov.au about the Graduate Development Program.