The department welcomes graduate applications from all degree disciplines for our generalist graduate pathway. The generalist pathway gives graduates the opportunity to broaden their career by working in our policy, program delivery and/or corporate support areas.
The department offers positions in a number of specialist pathways including:
- Communication and Public Affairs.
Specialist pathways give graduates the opportunity to work in areas relevant to their qualifications and career of choice. It also includes learning and development opportunities specific to their specialist area.
Finance specialist roles
To be eligible, you must have a relevant Finance degree such as Accounting, Commerce, Economics or Finance.
Our finance graduates help deliver high quality strategic financial advice and services that support the department’s mission. You will have real responsibility from the start including:
- preparing budgets and costings
- interpreting accounting standards, financial analysis and reporting
- account reconciliation and reporting
- preparing the department’s soft close and annual financial statements
- writing briefs, including senate estimates and updates to internal policies and guidelines
- maintaining and enhancing system and data frameworks.
Communication and Public Affairs specialist roles
To be eligible, you must have a relevant Public Affairs or Communication degree such as Communication, Journalism, Marketing, Media Studies or Public Relations.
As a Communication graduate, your work may involve:
- developing communication and media products including strategies, media releases, media responses, speeches, news articles, blogs and opinion editorials
- developing and evaluating government advertising campaigns
- social media and web management including writing content and publishing
- video production and editing
- graphic design.
Australian Government Graduate Program
The department also participates in the Australian Government Graduate Program (AGGP) to help fill our graduate roles.
The AGGP helps recent graduates find a job in participating agencies across the public service. The Department of Social Services participates in the following AGGP streams:
- Accounting and Financial Management Stream – led by the Department of Finance
- Data Stream – led by the Australian Bureau of Statistics
- Economist Stream – led by the Treasury
- Indigenous Graduate Pathway – led by the Department of Defence
When you apply for the AGGP streams, you will have the option to list your preferred department. Choose us! Select the Department of Social Services as your first preference to apply for our program.
Learn more about
- Graduate Development Program
- The Graduate application process
- Working with us
- Graduate Frequently Asked Questions
Email GraduateRecruitment@dss.gov.au about the Graduate Development Program.