Child Safety for DSS grants
The Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse (Royal Commission) highlighted the necessity for a national response to child safety and the need for organisations to provide an environment where children feel (and are) safe, protected and respected.
In response to the findings, the Australian Government introduced the Commonwealth Child Safe Framework. This includes a section (1.4) on how Commonwealth Agencies apply child safe obligations to Commonwealth funded third parties in grant arrangements.
The child safe obligations applied to grantees are included in the Supplementary Terms of a grant agreement. There are 2 clauses available, with different requirements depending on the level of interaction with children expected in the delivery of the activity.
Annual Child Safe Statement of Compliance
Grantees are required to submit a Child Safe Statement of Compliance each year for each activity funded by DSS. The statement confirms that, in delivering the activity, grantees are compliant with the child safe clauses.
A template for this statement will be provided by the department in early March and must be submitted by 31 March. This statement is retrospective. It covers the period 1 January to 31 December of the previous calendar year.
Failure to submit the statement means grantees are considered non-compliant with their child safe clauses. This may result in payments being withheld, termination of your agreement, or affect future applications for DSS funding.
- The National Office for Child Safety has resources and information to assist grantees to implement, develop and meet their child safe obligations.
- Specific to child safety compliance requirements:
- The Australian Human Rights Commission has:
- Examples of the Statements of Compliance:
- Copies of the Child Safe Clauses:
- For more information about the DSS Child Safe Compliance process and policy read the Frequently Asked Questions for DSS grantees.
- For technical assistance with accessing, using or submitting the Statement of Compliance template, contact the Community Grants Hub Helpdesk on 1800 020 283 (option 5).
- For any other queries, email your Funding Arrangement Manager.