Be Connected – improving digital literacy for older Australians
Be Connected is an Australian Government initiative aimed at increasing the confidence, skills and online safety of older Australians in using digital technology.
Be Connected adopts a community-centered approach to assist individuals aged 50 years and over, who have little or no experience with digital technology. Be Connected launched on 3 October 2017 and is delivering a range of resources specifically designed to support these Australians.
- A dedicated Be Connected website with information and interactive training tools and resources for older Australians, their families and peers, and local community organisations.
- Free access to personalised face-to-face help and support through the Be Connected Network – a large group of community organisations located across Australia such as libraries, neighbourhood centres, community clubs, retirement villages and services supporting older Australians.
Be Connected assists older Australians to learn the basics of digital technology. This includes:
- using a digital device
- being safe online
- sending emails
- using Facebook and other social media
- shopping and banking online
- using myGov
- sharing photos with family, and much more.