National Rental Affordability Scheme
The National Rental Affordability Scheme (NRAS or the Scheme) is a partnership between the Australian Government and the States and Territories to invest in affordable rental housing.
The Scheme, which commenced in 2008, seeks to address the shortage of affordable rental housing by offering financial incentives to persons or entities such as the business sector and community organisations to build and rent dwellings to low and moderate income households at a rate that is at least 20 per cent below the market value rent.
NRAS aims to:
- increase the supply of new affordable rental housing
- reduce rental costs for low and moderate income households
- encourage large-scale investment and innovative delivery of affordable housing.
Latest news and events
4 April 2016
18 May 2016 – Update to 2014-15 payments processing
Number of Approved Participants
Number of Incentives
The due date for lodging Statements of Compliance was extended from 30 June 2015 to 14 August 2015 to allow approved participants additional time to lodge their Statements of Compliance. Furthermore, the National Rental Affordability Scheme Regulations 2008 allow approved participants to request that the Secretary extend the due date for their Statements of Compliance to a date no later than 30 September.
By 30 June 2015, 21 approved participants had notified the Department of Social Services (the Department) that all of their Statements of Compliance were ready for assessment. By 14 August 2015, 84 approved participants had notified the Department that all of their Statements of Compliance were ready for assessment.
As at 18 May 2016, the Department had received notification from 119 approved participants stating that all of their Statements of Compliance are ready for assessment. Of the 119, 115 approved participants had been assessed and paid, in total or part. In total, up to 29,099 Statements of Compliance will be assessed by the Department. Of these, 28,080 incentives have been assessed and paid.
92 approved participants have had all of their Statements of Compliance (13,004) assessed and paid.
Please note that the Department has been processing and issuing incentives for approved participants based on the date that they advised the Department that they were ready for assessment.
As the Department’s relationship with approved participants relates to their business affairs, investors should discuss the status of their Statement of Compliance process with their approved participant.
- The NRAS Internal Review Guidelines are now available. The guidelines have been developed to assist approved participants who are seeking an internal review of a decision made by the Secretary or delegate. A copy of the guidelines can be found at Internal Review Guidelines.
- The fact sheet for private and individual investors has been updated and includes information for potential as well as existing NRAS investors. It also includes advice for investors who may be Centrelink or Child Support customers. The fact sheet can be found on the Information for Private Individual Investors page.
- An open letter advising of an amendment to the NRAS Regulations regarding the requirements for rent reviews and providing an update about the processing of 2013-14 NRAS incentives is now available under Correspondence on the NRAS resources, documents and information page.
- An open letter providing an update about the processing of 2013-14 NRAS incentive claims is now available under Correspondence on the NRAS resources, documents and information page.
- A new form which allows investors to request the consent of Approved Participants to seek information about the status of their incentive claims directly from the Department is now available on the NRAS resources, documents and information page.
If you have any feedback, concerns and complaints about the administration or delivery of NRAS or actions of NRAS Approved Participants, please contact the NRAS Helpdesk.
NRAS resources, documents and information
- Information about the Scheme, including questions about the new Regulation changes, Fact Sheets, letters to NRAS Approved Participants, applications to vary the conditions to reservations of allocation and other general administration information, can be found on the NRAS resources, documents and information page.
NRAS Frequently Asked Questions
Information for NRAS Applicants, Approved Participants, investors and tenancy managers
- List of approved NRAS Applicants and Approved Participants (refer to the latest NRAS performance report)
- NRAS incentive (indexation)
- NRAS market index
- NRAS household income (indexation)
- NRAS calls for applications (Rounds)
- Information for NRAS Applicants and Approved Participants
- Information for NRAS private individual investors
- Information for banks and financial institutions
Information for NRAS tenants
NRAS legislation, regulations and policy guidelines
NRAS performance reporting
Glossary of Terms