Approved institutions and courses for student payments

Approved education institutions and courses for the purposes of eligibility for student payments are listed in the Student Assistance (Education Institutions and Courses) Determination 2009 (No. 2) on Federal Register of Legislation. The Determination may not reflect recent amendments. The most recent amendment is the Student Assistance (Education Institutions and Courses) Amendment Determination 2015 (No. 2).

Masters by coursework approval for student payments

Each year, Higher Education providers are invited to consider the eligibility of their professionally oriented Masters by coursework programs against the criteria set out in the Guidelines for the approval of Masters courses for student payments (the Guidelines) and, if appropriate, to submit applications for consideration.

Coursework Masters programs may be eligible for approval for student payments where the qualification is essential for entry to, or employment in a profession, and:

  • the qualification is the minimum requirement for registration with a professional body and for entry to a profession; or
  • the course provides the fastest pathway to professional entry offered by the higher education provider; or
  • the course is the only pathway to professional entry offered by the higher education provider.

The Department of Social Services assesses applications in accordance with the Guidelines and eligible Masters courses are submitted to the Minister for Social Services for consideration and approval.

Higher education providers are responsible for submitting Masters by coursework programs for assessment. Students are unable to submit courses for assessment.

Students who have queries about Masters courses should contact their higher education provider, and should contact the Department of Human Services on 13 2490 for further information or queries about student payments.

Applications for 2016 Round 1 should be emailed to the Department of Social Services at by 29 April 2016. Late applications will not be accepted.

Last updated: