Approved institutions and courses for student payments
Approved education institutions and courses for the purposes of eligibility for student payments are listed in the Student Assistance (Education Institutions and Courses) Determination 2009 (No. 2) on Comlaw. The Determination may not reflect recent amendments. The most recent amendment is the Student Assistance (Education Institutions and Courses) Amendment Determination 2015 (No. 2).
Masters by coursework approval for student payments
Each year, Higher Education providers are invited to consider the eligibility of their professionally oriented Masters by coursework programmes against the criteria set out in the Guidelines for the approval of Masters courses for student payments (the Guidelines) and, if appropriate, to submit applications for consideration.
Coursework Masters programmes may be eligible for approval for student payments where the qualification is essential for entry to or employment in a profession, and:
- the qualification is the minimum requirement for registration with a professional body and for entry to a profession; or
- the course provides the fastest pathway to professional entry offered by the higher education provider; or
- the course is the only pathway to professional entry offered by the higher education provider.
The Department of Social Services assesses applications in accordance with the Guidelines and eligible Masters courses are submitted to the Minister for Social Services for consideration and approval.
- Guidelines for the approval of Masters courses for student payments (June 2015)
- Masters by Coursework Change of name/course code form. Higher Education Providers should complete and submit a Masters by Coursework Change of name/course code form, to advise if changes have occurred for an approved course’s name or code.
- Request for Masters course removal form. Higher Education Providers should complete and submit a Request for Masters course removal form, to advise if a course is discontinued and should be removed from the Determination. It is important that courses no longer offered, but with students still enrolled are not removed from the Determination.
Students who have queries about student payments and Masters courses should contact the Department of Human Services on 13 2490 for further information.