Support services for young people moving to independent living

For young parents

Centrelink provides a range of payments and services to help young parents, such as Parenting Payment , Helping Young Parents Program and Child Care Benefit.

Raising Children Network website provides parents with information and resources to support them in the day-to-day work of raising children and looking after their own needs.

Education and training

Centrelink provides payments and information and services to help young people between 15 and 24 years of age continue education and training, such as Youth Allowance and ABSTUDY.

Australian Apprenticeships can offer opportunities for young people to train, study and earn an income at a variety of qualification levels in most occupations as well as in traditional trades.

The Skills for Education and Employment program provides language, literacy and numeracy training to job seekers who find it hard to get work. Job seekers are referred to the program by the Department of Human Services and Employment Service Providers.


jobactive is the Australian Government’s way to get more Australians into work. It connects job seekers with employers and is delivered by a network of jobactive providers in over 1,700 locations across Australia. jobactive is also Australia's free online jobs website to assist job seekers into employment and connect employers with quality staff.

Job Guide helps young people explore career options and make subject choices. It provides information about a wide range of occupations and the education and training pathways that lead to them. It also includes useful information on the job search process, provides details of available government assistance and suggests where to go for further information. The final Job Guide was published in 2015.

Centrelink provides a range of payments and services to job seekers, such as Youth Allowance and Newstart.

JobAccess is a free information and advice service about the employment of people with disability. JobAccess helps people with disability, employers, service providers and the community to access information about services, financial assistance and workplace solutions.

The Fair Work Ombudsman can give advice and help employees understand their workplace rights and responsibilities.


Medicare provides payments and services that can help when a person uses health care services or buys medicines.  Young people aged 15 or older, can have their own Medicare card.
Medicare Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Access Line is a free telephone service that helps Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people living anywhere in Australia to access Medicare services and programs.

Health Care Card provides concessions on health-care costs. This means cheaper prescription medicines can be obtained through the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme and medical services funded by the Australian Government. This card can also give access to concessions provided by State and Local Governments as well as some private businesses, including household, education, and public-transport costs.

The website provides a range of mental health resources including online programs, fact sheets, audio and video, and online support groups. 

Personal Helpers and Mentors program provides increased opportunities for recovery for people aged 16 years and over whose lives are severely affected by mental illness, by helping them to overcome social isolation and increase their connections to the community.

The Mental Health Respite initiative provides a range of flexible respite and family support options for carers of people with severe mental illness/psychiatric disability and carers of people with an intellectual disability.

Family Mental Health Support Services target prevention and early intervention, with a particular focus on Indigenous families and those from a culturally and linguistically diverse background.

Housing and accommodation

Centrelink offers financial help that can assist young people who receive Centrelink payments with costs of rent, such as Rent Deduction Scheme and Rent Assistance. Centrelink also provides access to Community Engagement Officers who can help people who are homeless, or at risk of becoming homeless, access income support.

The National Rental Affordability Scheme provides people on a low to moderate income with an opportunity to rent homes at a rate that is at least 20 per cent below market value rent.

Reconnect assists young people stabilise their living situation and improve their level of engagement with family, work, education, training and their local community.

Managing money

The Financial Wellbeing and Capability activity helps people address immediate needs in times of financial crisis, better manage their money and plan for the medium to long term and provides access to safe, affordable funds that may not be available through mainstream financial services. This includes Emergency Relief, Commonwealth Financial Counselling and Financial Capability services.

Centrelink provides the Financial Information Service — a free, confidential service that provides education and information on financial and lifestyle issues to all Australians.

Moneysmart website offers free advice and independent guidance so people can make the best choices for their money. There is a section for young people offering advice on things such as buying a car, moving out of home, first job and getting a first big bill.

Community support services

The organisations listed below are provided for your information. They do not constitute the department's endorsement of these services or any associated organisations or products.

Lifeline —24 hour telephone crisis support service is available to anyone needing emotional support on one national number – 13 11 14

Beyond Blue —provides information about depression to consumers, carers and health professionals. Includes causes, treatments, personal stories and forum —1300 224 636

Youth Beyond Blue —aims to empower young people aged 12–25, their friends and those who care for them to respond to depression and anxiety — 1300 224 636

Mensline —24 hour telephone and online support, information and referral service, helping men to deal with relationship problems in a practical and effective way — 1300 789 978

Kids Help Line — free, private and confidential, telephone and online counselling service specifically for young people aged between 5 and 25—1800 55 1800

SANE Australia — provides information about symptoms, treatments, medications, where to go for support and help for carers — 1800 18 SANE (7263)

Eheadspace — online and telephone service supports young people and their families going through a tough time —1800 650 890

ReachOut —provides young people with the information, help, support, advice and connections they need to manage mental health difficulties such as stress.

Last updated: