For young people leaving formal care
From 1 January 2014, young people leaving formal care may be eligible to receive the $1,500 Transition to Independent Living Allowance (TILA) to help them move to independent living. The allowance can be used for a range of support services as well as training and education materials. Young people can access the allowance in up to six installments as agreed with their case worker.
To receive the allowance the young person must:
- be an Australian citizen or permanent Australian resident who resides in Australia at the time of application for TILA
- be aged from 15 to 25 years at the time of application
- either has been in, or is currently in, formal care on a court order
- left the care of the state or territory statutory department after the age of 15 years and was last in the department’s care for a continuous period of at least 6 months
- either be approaching an exit from formal care (within twelve weeks of applying), experiencing an exit from formal care, or have exited from formal care
- have the transition to independence plan
- has not received the full amount of TILA assistance previously (i.e. can only receive up to a total of $1,500)
The young person and the case worker must have agreed that the proposed use and timing of TILA is appropriate.
Unaccompanied Humanitarian Minors (UHM) are eligible for TILA.
A young person who is discharged from a court order or the order expires, and remains in the living arrangement (such as in the home of the foster or kinship carer or other residence) is eligible for TILA if all the other criteria also apply. TILA is to be used for the benefit of the young person and not for fixed items installed into premises not owned by the young person.
For young people leaving informal care
Young people leaving informal care are not eligible for TILA.
There is a range of government programs and community organisations that provide support services and useful information to help them transition to independent living. For more information refer to Support services for young people moving to independent living.
- Frequently Asked Questions for Case Workers
- Frequently Asked Questions for Young People
- Frequently Asked Questions for Foster Carers
- Step-by-step Guide for Young People
- Step-by-step Guide for Case Workers
- State and Territory contacts – Find a Case Worker