Economic Inclusion Advisory Committee
In November 2022, the Government announced the establishment of the Economic Inclusion Advisory Committee (the Committee). The Committee’s role is to provide independent advice to Government before every Federal Budget on economic inclusion and tackling disadvantage.
An interim Committee has been established, pending legislation to give effect to the permanent committee.
At least 2 weeks before every Federal Budget, the Committee will provide advice on economic inclusion including policy settings, systems and structures, and the adequacy, effectiveness and sustainability of income support payments.
The Committee will also consider options to reduce barriers to work, including social security and employment services. Further, it will explore options to reduce barriers to economic inclusion for the long term unemployed and disadvantaged, including local place-based approaches.
In providing its advice, the Committee will have regard to the Government’s fiscal strategy, existing Government policies, and the long-term sustainability of the social security system.
The membership of the Committee includes the nation’s leading economists, academics, philanthropists and community advocates. Members include:
- The Hon Jenny Macklin (Chair)
- Professor Jeff Borland (The University of Melbourne)
- Ms Emily Carter (Chief Executive Officer of Marninwarntikura Women’s Resource Centre)
- Professor Kay Cook (Swinburne University of Technology)
- Mr Matthew Cox (The Bryan Foundation)
- Dr Cassandra Goldie (Australian Council of Social Service)
- Dr Angela Jackson (Impact Economics and Policy)
- Mr Travers McLeod (Brotherhood of St Laurence)
- Ms Sally McManus (Australian Council of Trade Unions)
- Associate Professor Ben Phillips (Australian National University)
- Ms Leah van Poppel (Chair of Victorian NDIS Community Advisory and a member of the NDIS Independent Advisory Council)
- Ms Jennifer Westacott AO (Business Council of Australia)
- Professor Peter Whiteford (Australian National University)
- Mr Ray Griggs AO CSC (Secretary of the Department of Social Services)
- Dr Steven Kennedy PSM (Secretary of the Department of the Treasury)
Report for the 2023-24 Budget released on 18 April 2023