Information on leaving care plans

A young person must have a current leaving care plan to apply for the Transition to Independent Living Allowance (TILA).

A leaving care plan is also called a transition from care plan and it is developed by a young person and their caseworker around when they turn 15 years of age, to help them transition from out-of-home care to independence.

The plan is individualised and covers the required supports that a young person might need to assist for their future independence. The plan is to be reviewed regularly, and can cover the following relevant life domains:

  • Housing
  • Health including physical, emotional (including self-esteem, mental, sexual and dental)
  • Employment
  • Education and training
  • Financial security
  • Social relationships and support networks
  • Life (and after care) skills
  • Identity and culture
  • Legal matters.

The plan should be guided by and align with the Transitioning from out-of-home care to independence: A nationally consistent approach to planning.

If a young person does not have a plan or they would like to update their plan, they should contact their caseworker. If they do not have a caseworker they should get in touch with their local state or territory department for child protection who will provide further assistance.

Last updated: