The Blueprint Expert Reference Group (BERG)
Not-for-profit Sector Development Blueprint
In the 2022-23 October Budget the Government announced the measure Development of the Not-for-profit (NFP) Sector Development Blueprint (the NFP Blueprint) and doubling philanthropic giving by 2030. To deliver the measure:
- the Department of Social Services (the department) is working with the Community Services Advisory Group (CSAG) to develop the NFP Blueprint.
- the Productivity Commission will review the current framework to incentivise philanthropy in the not-for-profit sector.
The NFP Blueprint is to provide a roadmap for Government reforms and sector led initiatives that will provide NFP and charity sector organisations with sustainable solutions and business models. The Blueprint will include options for reform to strengthen social capital and to build a vibrant sector.
The NFP Blueprint is intended to be a visionary document to ensure the NFP and charity sector is ‘future ready’ and to enable the sector to set its own direction to support Australians in need now and in the future.
Terms of Reference
The BERG Terms of Reference were approved in May 2023. Slight revisions made to membership and timeframe was approved by the group on 18 September 2023.
- Matt Gardiner, CEO, 54 reasons
- Dr Cassandra Goldie AO, CEO, Australian Council of Social Service
- Kasy Chambers, Executive Director, Anglicare Australia
- Catherine Liddle, CEO, SNAICC - National Voice for our Children
- Mark Pearce, CEO, Volunteering Australia
- Mary Ann Baquero Geronimo*, CEO, Federation of Ethnic Communities’ Councils of Australia
- Toby oConnor, CEO, St Vincent de Paul Society National Council of Australia
- Jeff Smith, CEO, Disability Advocacy Network Australia
- Ian Hamm, Chair of the Board of Directors, First Nations Foundation
- Chris D’Souza**, A/g Group Manager, Department of Social Services
* Formerly Mohammad Al-Khafaji, for period December 2022 to September 2023.
** Formerly Karen Pickering, for the period December 2022 to March 2023.
Expert advisers to BERG:
- Professor Jo Barraket AM, Director of the Melbourne Social Equity Institute at the University of Melbourne
- Professor David Gilchrist, Director of the Centre for Public Value at the University of Western Australia
The next BERG meeting is scheduled for 8 November 2023. Communique for past meetings are below:
- Communique 8 November 2023
- Communique 10 October 2023
- Communique 5 September 2023
- Communique 1 August 2023
- Communique 4 July 2023
- Communique 6 June 2023
- Communique 2 May 2023
- Communique 4 April 2023
- Communique 7 March 2023
BERG will be consulting with the sector and the public to help inform the priority areas for reform. The consultation process is also a chance for individuals and other organisations to engage with the Blueprint development.
BERG and CSAG members have developed a NFP Sector Development Blueprint Issues Paper (Blueprint Issues Paper). The Blueprint Issues Paper will form the basis of the consultation.
Sector consultation will occur through direct emails, one on one meetings and through opportunities at face-to-face and virtual meetings.
The BERG will have opportunities to consult broadly with the NFP sector through the Australian Charities and Not-for-profit Commission (ACNC).
The Blueprint Issues Paper is now available on DSS Engage and is open for public submissions and feedback until 20 December 2023. Responses received will shape the final NFP Blueprint before it is submitted to the Government.
Review of philanthropy
The Productivity Commission will deliver an inquiry into philanthropy by May 2024. The Inquiry will help us understand:
- trends in philanthropic giving in Australia
- the underlying drivers of these trends
- opportunities and obstacles to increasing such giving.
Learn more about the Productivity Commission's Philanthropy Public inquiry.
Sector grant funding reforms
In addition to the NFP Blueprint, CSAG has been identified as the key consultation mechanism for the election commitment to a Stronger, more diverse and independent community sector to influence broader grant funding reforms across the Commonwealth and consider options for greater innovation.
Find out more about Community Services Advisory Group
BERG contact details
Contact BERGSecretariat@dss.gov.au for more information on the Blueprint.