Supporting Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Intersex, Queer or Asexual (LGBTIQA+) staff
We foster a culture where employees with diverse sexuality and/or genders feel:
- safe to be themselves to the workplace.
We support the visibility and representation of the LGBTIQA+ people in the Department and the broader community.
Support for LGBTIQA+ staff
We have a staff-driven committee and network for employees who identify as LGBTIQA+ and allies. We have a LGBTIQA+ Champion who advocates on behalf of the committee and staff.
Our Pride Committee and Champions:
- build our Pride ally base
- look for opportunities for the committee to input LGBTIQA+ focus into our work
- act as a sounding board for staff
- increase LGBTIQA+ visibility in the Department
- identify and address any barriers
- call out unacceptable behaviours.
We are proud to be a member of Pride in Diversity.
We also take part in the annual Australian Workplace Equality Index, a national benchmark for LGBTIQA+ workplace inclusion and are awarded Bronze Employer of Choice status.
Contact DiversityandInclusion@dss.gov.au for more information.
Learn more about:
- Diverse and inclusive workplace
- Disability inclusive workplace
- Gender equality
- Supporting LGBTIQA+ staff
- Cultural and linguistic diversity in our workplace
- Supporting Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander staff