We at the Department commit to integrating sustainable workplace practices into our activities in order to improve our environmental performance.
Our objectives include:
- Complying with all relevant commitments of the current government, including applicable legislation, policies and standards;
- Upholding the principles of Ecologically Sustainable Development1 and Intergenerational Equity2;
- Maintaining our Environmental Management System (EMS);
- Reducing our carbon footprint;
- Preventing pollution; and
- Continuously reviewing our environmental aspects and impacts.
Our priorities include:
- Minimising our energy and water consumption;
- Minimising the amount of waste to landfill generated by our operations; and
- Communicating relevant environmental information in order to facilitate a strong environmental ethos within the Department, including staff, contractors and other stakeholders.
For local environmental matters, please send an e-mail to the Environmental Performance Team.
1. The National Strategy for Ecologically Sustainable Development, endorsed by all Australian jurisdictions in 1992, defines the goal of ESD as: 'development that improves the total quality of life, both now and in the future, in a way that maintains the ecological processes on which life depends.'
2. The principle of inter-generational equity: “that the present generation should ensure that the health, diversity and productivity of the environment is maintained or enhanced for the benefit of future generations” (Section 3A of the EPBC Act).