Release of the final report of the Independent Review into the NDIS7 December 2023
The Australian Government has released the final report of the Independent Review into the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS).
An overarching goal of the NDIS Review was to put people with disability back at the centre of the NDIS.
Since it began in October 2022, the NDIS Review looked into the design, operations and sustainability of the NDIS. It also considered ways to make the market and workforce more responsive, supportive and sustainable.
It looked at how to make sure the NDIS and the broader disability supports around it work well for the people with disability who depend on them.
The NDIS was designed to support people with permanent and significant disability. Reliable, high quality services need to be available outside the NDIS for all other Australians with disability.
The Independent Review panel received almost 4,000 submissions – including from people with disability, NDIS participants, their families and carers, as well as the providers and workers who support them.
The report makes 26 recommendations and 139 supporting actions that aim to restore trust, confidence and pride in the NDIS through:
- developing a unified system of support for people with disability
- an NDIS experience centred on the whole person and their support needs
- better support for children and adolescents through mainstream services and a significant expansion of services outside the NDIS
- more active government involvement and stewardship of NDIS markets to make them more efficient and effective
- improving service quality and ensuring appropriate safeguards and risk proportionate regulation.
You can find out more about the NDIS Review by registering to attend a public forum.
Addressing the NDIS Review’s recommendations to make a positive change for people with disability requires a whole-of-country effort. This includes all levels of government and our entire community – including businesses, non-government organisations, service providers and workers that support people with disability.
The Australian Government is carefully considering the recommendations in the final reports of both the NDIS Review and the Disability Royal Commission before providing its full response. Careful sequencing of any changes will be needed to ensure the most important foundations are in place before broader reforms occur.
Find out more
- NDIS Review: Visit ndisreview.gov.au for more information about the NDIS Review.
- NDIS reforms: Visit dss.gov.au/disability-and-carers to stay informed about how the Australian Government is working to improve supports for NDIS participants and other people with disability.