Disability Employment Roundtable focuses on employment opportunities22 August 2022
The Minister for Social Services hosted a Disability Employment Roundtable today at the Enid Lyons Building in Canberra.
Minister Amanda Rishworth met with a cross section of stakeholders to discuss overcoming barriers to employment for people with disability.
The event brought together:
- disability employment specialists
- people with lived experience
They discussed how to better support people with disability to find and maintain employment.
The Roundtable focused on the priority areas of the government’s strategy Employ My Ability. This included how to change community attitudes, and improving systems and services for job seekers. The Roundtable discussed:
- the impact of cultural, social and attitudinal barriers to employment
- the roles of Government, employers, businesses and the community improving employment outcomes for people with disability
- building employment skills, experience and confidence of young people with disability.
Overall, the discussions were informative, insightful, and engaging for all those who attended.
Insights gained from the Roundtable will feed into the Jobs and Skills Summit. It is being held on 1-2 September 2022 at Parliament House.
The department would like to thank everyone who contributed to the event.
Find out more:
Visit dss.gov.au/employ-my-ability to find out more about the government’s Disability Employment Strategy Employ My Ability.