Termination of the Social Security Agreement with the UK - Information for pensioners receiving payments under the Agreement

Why has Australia terminated the agreement?

Australia has terminated the Agreement because the UK Government refuses to change its policy of not indexing pensions in Australia, even though it does index pensions paid in some countries with which it has Agreements.

The Australian Government has made considerable efforts over the last decade to get the UK to re-negotiate the Agreement to address the indexation problem but the UK has refused all our efforts.

When did the agreement terminate?

The Agreement terminated from 1 March 2001.

Will my pension be affected by the termination of the agreement?

All payments made under the Agreement, either in Australia or the UK, will not be affected by the termination of the Agreement. They will continue to be paid for as long as the pensioner remains qualified to receive that payment. This is because the Agreement contains transitional provisions that protect the rights of current pensioners.

Will I be able to get my pension from the UK now that the agreement has terminated?

The UK should continue to pay its pensions into Australia as these payments are made under UK domestic law and not the Agreement. Should you have any concerns about this you should contact the UK Department of Social Security. Their website address is www.dss.gov.uk.

Can I get an Australian pension if I am living in the UK?

Australia will continue to pay its Age Pensions to pensioners going to the UK under its general portability laws. However, Australia will not grant pensions to people residing in the UK (nor did it prior to the Agreement terminating).

Pensioners planning to travel to the UK (and other overseas countries) should advise their nearest Centrelink office. 

Last updated: