Special Benefit provides financial assistance to people in severe financial need due to circumstances outside their control.
You may get Special Benefit if you are:
- in severe financial hardship, and
- unable to earn a sufficient livelihood for yourself and your dependants because of age, physical or mental disability or domestic circumstances, or for any other reason over which you have no control, and
- unable to receive any other income support payment from Centrelink, and
- an Australian resident or the holder of a certain temporary visa.
Some examples of when you might be able to get Special Benefit are:
- you cannot get another payment from Centrelink because you are too young or too old or because you have not lived in Australia long enough, or
- you are caring for a sick or disabled person and do not qualify for Carer Payment, or
- you have suffered a substantial change in circumstances beyond your control during the newly arrived resident’s waiting period.
The Human Services website has more Special Benefit information