Pensioner Concession Card
Purpose of Card
The Pensioner Concession Card assists pensioners and selected benefit recipients with certain living costs by allowing access to specific goods and services at a concessional rate.
The Pensioner Concession Card is automatically issued to:
- all social security pensioners - Age Pension, Disability Support Pension, Wife Pension, Widow B Pension, Bereavement Allowance, Parenting Payment (single), and Carer Payment;
- Department of Veterans' Affairs service pensioners and war widows receiving an income support supplement;
- recipients of Newstart Allowance, Partner Allowance, Sickness Allowance, Widow Allowance, Special Benefit and Parenting Payment (partnered) who are aged 60 years or over and have been in continuous receipt of payment for at least 9 months;
- recipients of Parenting Payment (partnered) with a partial capacity to work;
- recipients of Newstart Allowance and Youth Allowance (jobseeker) who have a partial capacity to work or who are the single principal carer of a dependent child; and
- participants of the Pension Loans Scheme who are qualified to receive a part-rate pension and certain Community Development Employment Project participants.
Pensioner Concession Card holders and their dependants may receive the following concessions:
- medicines listed on the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) at the concessional rate and once they reach the PBS safety net, will usually be supplied with further PBS prescriptions without charge for the remainder of the calendar year);
- bulk-billed GP appointments (at the discretion of the doctor);
- reduced out-of-hospital medical expenses above a concessional threshold through the extended Medicare Safety Net.
- free hearing assessments and hearing rehabilitation, including the supply and fitting of free hearing aids from a range of service providers; and
- low-cost maintenance of hearing aids and a regular supply of batteries.
A 50% discount on mail redirection services is provided by Australia Post.
State / territory and local governments may provide the following concessions:
- discounted fares on public transport;
- reduced rates (for example, council and water);
- reduced utilities (for example, electricity); and
- discounted motor vehicle registrations.
Cardholders get discounted rail travel on Great Southern Rail services and in most (but not all) states, at least one free rail journey a year within the state of residence.
State / territory and local governments and some private providers may offer some additional health, household, transport, education and recreation concessions to Pensioner Concession Card holders.
For further information about the Pensioner Concession Card please contact Centrelink on 13 2300 or visit the Pensioner Concession Card section of the Centrelink website.