Help for ethnic community organisations
Community organisations play a vital role in Australia’s diverse society by advocating on behalf of their members and helping to build strong communities.
Whether you are looking to set up a new community organisation or an existing organisation looking for funding opportunities, the following links can connect you to resources which may be useful.
Settlement Services Providers
If you are starting up a community organisation for a new and emerging community in Australia, it is very likely that you already have a close relationship with a settlement service provider. Your service provider will be able to help you with information about:
- How to set up a community organisation including registering the organisation with the appropriate body and obtaining a tax file number
- How to set up a governance structure for your organisation
- Funding opportunities
- Preparing funding applications.
Australian Taxation Office
The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) provides information about setting up a non-profit organisation including choosing an appropriate legal structure as well as on any tax obligations for your organisation and a range of tax concessions available.
The Australian Securities and Investments Commission
All new community organisations have to be registered either with the Australian Securities and Investments Commission or equivalent state body that administers such organisations, depending on the structure of the organisation.
The Australian Securities and Investment Commission (ASIC) provides useful information about registering a non-profit or charitable organisation.
Funding Support for Community Based Projects
There are a number of government and non-government organisations which provide funding for community projects. Writing a good application will improve your chances of obtaining funding for your project.
The Department of Social Services provides useful information on the Funding Support for Community Based Projects page including:
- Community Leadership Advocacy and Skills Project
- Preparing funding applications
- Information about how to prepare a grant application
- Commonwealth and state/territory based funding sources that support community based projects
- Local government funding options.