Australian Multicultural Council
The Australian Multicultural Council (the Council) is a ministerially-appointed body that provides advice to the Government on multicultural affairs policy and programmes, with a particular focus on:
- Harnessing the economic and social benefits of Australia’s culturally diverse population.
- Celebrating diversity, promoting social acceptance and fostering engagement with Australian values, identity and citizenship, within the framework of Australian law.
- Building stronger and more cohesive communities and addressing barriers to participation, including racism and discrimination.
- Promoting greater intercultural and interfaith understanding and dialogue.
- Empowering civil society through partnerships with the business sector and harnessing the experience of established communities in developing the capacity of newer communities.
The Government may request the Council take on specific additional responsibilities in response to emerging multicultural policy issues.
Information related to the work of previous terms of the Australian Multicultural Council has been archived but is available for historical purposes on the National Library of Australia's Web Archive site.
The current term of the AMC is from 16 December 2014 - 16 December 2017.
Left to right: Dr Sev Ozdowski AM FAICD; Miss Faiza Rehman; Mr Vasan Srinivasan; Mrs Charlotte Vidor; the Hon Christian Porter MP, Minister for Social Services; Dr B Hass Dellal AO; Ms Helena Kyriazopoulos, and Senator the Hon Concetta Fierravanti-Wells, Assistant Minister for Multicultural Affairs.
The current members are:
- Dr Sev Ozdowski AM, Chair
- Dr Bulent Hass Dellal AO
- Ms Helena Kyriazopoulos
- Miss Faiza Rehman
- Mr Vasan Srinivasan
- Mrs Charlotte Vidor
More information about Council members.
- Australian Multicultural Council's submission on the Mental Health in Multicultural Australia Project
- Australian Multicultural Council's submission on religious freedom
- Australian Multicultural Council’s submission on migrant intake into Australia
- Australian Multicultural Council's submission on Australian Citizenship discussion paper