Australian Multicultural Council
The Australian Multicultural Council (the Council) is a ministerially-appointed body that provides advice to the Government on multicultural affairs policy and programs. The most recent term of the Council commenced on 16 December 2014 and concluded on 16 December 2017.
The Council focused on:
- Harnessing the economic and social benefits of Australia’s culturally diverse population.
- Celebrating diversity, promoting social acceptance and fostering engagement with Australian values, identity and citizenship, within the framework of Australian law.
- Building stronger and more cohesive communities and addressing barriers to participation, including racism and discrimination.
- Promoting greater intercultural and interfaith understanding and dialogue.
- Empowering civil society through partnerships with the business sector and harnessing the experience of established communities in developing the capacity of newer communities.
Information related to the work of past terms of the Australian Multicultural Council has been archived but is available for historical purposes on the National Library of Australia's Web Archive site.
Left to right: Mr Vasan Srinivasan; Dr B Hass Dellal AO; Ms Helena Kyriazopoulos; Mrs Charlotte Vidor; Senator the Hon Zed Seselja, Assistant Minister for Social Services and Multicultural Affairs; Dr Sev Ozdowski AM FAICD; Miss Faiza Rehman.
The members of the most recent Council were:
- Dr Sev Ozdowski AM, Chair
- Dr Bulent Hass Dellal AO
- Ms Helena Kyriazopoulos
- Miss Faiza Rehman
- Mr Vasan Srinivasan
- Mrs Charlotte Vidor
More information about Council members.
- Australian Multicultural Council submission to the Senate inquiry on the Australian Citizenship Legislation Amendment (Strengthening the Requirements for Australian Citizenship and Other Measures) Bill 2017
- Australian Multicultural Council submission to DIBP discussion paper on strengthening citizenship
- Australian Multicultural Council submission on Strengthening Multiculturalism
- Australian Multicultural Council's submission on the Mental Health in Multicultural Australia Project
- Australian Multicultural Council's submission on religious freedom
- Australian Multicultural Council’s submission on migrant intake into Australia
- Australian Multicultural Council's submission on Australian Citizenship discussion paper