Family Mental Health Support Services (FMHSS)
FMHSS aims to improve mental health outcomes for children and young people, and their families.
FMHSS provide early intervention support to children and young people who are showing early signs of, or are at risk of developing, mental illness, with the support of their families and carers.
FMHSS provides flexible, responsive options and participants can expect services to offer the support outlined below:
- Intensive, long-term, early intervention support for children, young people and their families which may include: assessment and identification of needs; practical assistance and home-based support; linking with other relevant services; and, targeted therapeutic groups.
- Short-term immediate assistance for families which may include assessment of needs, information or referrals, and limited support.
- Community outreach, mental health education and community development activities which may include: organisation of and participation in community events; and, general group work in the community.
Highest priority is given to vulnerable children, young people and their families including those from Indigenous or culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, children and families in contact with the child protection system, and young people transitioning from out-of-home care.
Services will accept referrals of children and young people from any source, including self-referrals, and conduct an initial brief screening process to ensure Family Mental Health Support Services is the appropriate service for them. A formal diagnosis of mental illness is not required to access FMHSS.
In funding community organisations to deliver FMHSS, the Department is seeking the following outcomes:
- children and young people have improved emotional health and wellbeing
- children and young people can better manage the different aspects of their lives
- families and carers are helped to support their children and young people, and
- communities have a better understanding of, and response to, mental health issues that affect children and young people.
Family Mental Health Support Services location and contact details are listed on this website on the following link:
- Family Mental Health Support Services (FMHSS) Operational Guidelines | Department of Social Services, Australian Government (dss.gov.au)