Access to DSS Longitudinal Datasets
- Glossary for Fact Sheets [290.3 kB]
- Glossary for Fact Sheets [63.3 kB]
- Fact Sheet 11 Use of Symbol Digits Modalities Test [130.8 kB]
- Fact Sheet 11 Use of Symbol Digits Modalities Test [32.4 kB]
- Fact Sheet 10 Administrative Requirements [132.7 kB]
- Fact Sheet 10 Administrative Requirements [38.1 kB]
- Fact Sheet 9 Security Requirements [249.2 kB]
- Fact Sheet 9 Security Requirements [64.9 kB]
- Fact Sheet 8 How to acknowledge DSS and the relevant Survey Contract Managers in all research material [135.3 kB]
- Fact Sheet 8 How to acknowledge DSS and the relevant Survey Contract Managers in all research material [35.3 kB]
- Fact Sheet 7 How to Complete a Deed and Survey Contact List [172.7 kB]
- Fact Sheet 7 How to Complete a Deed and Survey Contact List [62.3 kB]
- Fact Sheet 6 Longitudinal Study of Indigenous [298.3 kB]
- Fact Sheet 6 Longitudinal Study of Indigenous [85.9 kB]
- Fact Sheet 5 Specialist Datasets [248 kB]
- Fact Sheet 5 Specialist Datasets [96.7 kB]
- Fact Sheet 4 Roles and Responsibilities of Supervisors [121.7 kB]
- Fact Sheet 4 Roles and Responsibilities of Supervisors [33.3 kB]
- Fact Sheet 3 Roles and Responsibilities of Authorised Users [392.4 kB]
- Fact Sheet 3 Roles and Responsibilities of Authorised Users [134.9 kB]
- Fact Sheet 2 Who is Eligible to Access the DSS Longitudinal Survey Datasets [198.5 kB]
- Fact Sheet 2 Who is Eligible to Access the DSS Longitudinal Survey Datasets [41.5 kB]
- Fact Sheet 1 Licensing arrangements for DSS’s HILDA, LSAC LSIC and BNLA datasets [164.9 kB]
- Fact Sheet 1 Licensing arrangements for DSS’s HILDA, LSAC LSIC and BNLA datasets [46.2 kB]
Access to DSS longitudinal datasets
In partnership with the Australian Data Archive, the NCLD is utilising Dataverse to coordinate approval of data requests, and upon approval, to make General Release data available through no-cost direct downloads. Restricted Release data will incur a minor processing fee of $64 (ex GST).
In addition to quick and easy data access, Dataverse also supports author recognition, persistent citation, data discovery and preservation, and can provide shared spaces for project teams.
The NCLD is transitioning to Dataverse as new releases of study data become available:
- Release 16.0 of the HILDA Survey in early December 2017
- NEW Release 9.0 of the LSIC Survey – Available NOW!
- Release 4.0 of the BNLA Survey
- Release 7.0 of the LSAC Survey
To apply for any of the recent data releases simply follow these steps:
- Read the new NCLD Access and Use Protocols (the Protocols)
- Go to the HILDA Survey Dataverse site or the LSIC Survey Dataverse site
- Follow the instructions in these Quick Reference Guides
Why the change?
The new arrangements allow for the longitudinal datasets to be stored and accessed through the Australian Data Archive (ADA) based at the Centre for Social Research Methods at the Australian National University. The new arrangements are also consistent with the Australian Government’s open data agenda and its requirements regarding appropriate data governance including security, privacy and confidentiality.
The National Centre for Longitudinal Data provides access to data from the following studies:
- Building a New Life in Australia (BNLA): The Longitudinal Study of Humanitarian Migrants
- Footprints in Time: The Longitudinal Study of Indigenous Children (LSIC)
- Growing up in Australia: The Longitudinal Study of Australian Children (LSAC)
- The Household, Income and Labour Dynamics in Australia (HILDA) Survey
There are strict security and confidentiality protocols surrounding use of the data. Prospective users are required to complete a dataset application and read and sign a completed deed of licence.
Before applying for access to the DSS Longitudinal Surveys, you will need to familiarise yourself with the Fact Sheets. The Fact Sheets provide important information for data users and data managers regarding obligations under the deed of licence.
Cost per Release
- $330 if in Australia (includes GST)
- $330 if overseas (GST exempt)
- $77 if in Australia (includes GST)
- $121 if overseas (GST exempt)
HILDA Cross National Equivalent File CNEF
Available versions of the data
General Release Data
The general release datasets are available to persons both in Australia and overseas. Please note that applications from overseas Honours and Masters students may also be considered for access to the data, but only under organisational licensing arrangements. Similarly, Australian Honours students will only be given access to the data under organisational licensing arrangements. All datasets contain the latest wave of data, as well as all previous waves and you can apply for more than one dataset using the same application form.
The unconfidentialised datasets are only available for Australian users and contain more detailed information than the general release dataset. For example, information such as date of birth and postcodes of residence are not included in the general release datasets. Other variables such as income and occupation may be top coded or transformed to ensure confidentiality is maintained. Only researchers with a demonstrated need will be given access to the unconfidentialised data.
All completed forms are to be sent to NCLD@dss.gov.au. If your request is approved by the delegate, you will receive an approval notification from DSS.
Note: If you are a student, please be advised that your supervisor must also apply independently for the same level dataset.
Applicants must first check to see if their organisation has signed an Organisational Deed of Licence. A list of organisations, including their Delegates and Data Managers, is available on the Melbourne Institute website.
If your organisation has signed an Organisational Deed of Licence, please contact your Data Manager for a deed of confidentiality.
If your organisation has not signed an Organisational Deed of Licence, but wishes to do so, please email: NCLD@dss.gov.au for further information and a copy of the application form.
If your organisation does not have an Organisational Licence then you will need to complete an Individual Deed of Licence. These are listed below.
Individual Australian Researchers
- Individual Deed of Licence for Australian Researchers - PDF [448 KB]
- Individual Deed of Licence for Australian Researchers - DOCX [864 KB]
- Individual Deed of Licence for Overseas Researchers - PDF [364 KB]
- Individual Deed of Licence for Overseas Researchers - DOCX [865 KB]
Geospatial data linkage
Data users may apply to have geospatial datasets linked to the LSAC dataset. To apply for data linkage, please complete the form below and send it to the LSAC team at LSAC@dss.gov.au.
If you have any questions about the application process, please email the LSAC team at LSAC@dss.gov.au.
- Geospatial data linkage application form - PDF [27 KB]
- Geospatial data linkage application form - DOCX [44 KB]
If you have any questions about applying for the DSS longitudinal datasets, please email NCLD@dss.gov.au.