Frequently asked questions

What is the Transition to Independent Living Allowance?

The Transition to Independent Living Allowance (TILA) is a contribution of up to $1,500 from the Australian Government to help eligible young people (aged 15-25 years) to meet some of the costs involved in moving from care to independent living. The allowance can be used for a range of support services as well as training and education materials.

What are the changes to TILA?

From 1 January 2014, TILA has been available to eligible young people aged between 15-25 years leaving formal state-based out-of-home care. They will need to work with their case worker and have a leaving care plan in place. TILA will remain at $1,500 but is available in up to six instalments as agreed between the young person and their case worker, and is paid by the Australian Government Department of Human Services (DHS).

Young people exiting informal care living arrangements are not able to access TILA.

What can TILA be used for?

From January 2014, the use of TILA supports the young person’s leaving care plan which covers housing, education, training, identity, health and wellbeing, culture, life skills, legal matters, financial security and support networks.

The types of things TILA can be used for include white goods and furniture for a home, fees or materials to support education, counselling and other support services, training for a job, or getting a driver’s licence.

When did the changes come into effect?

The new TILA system came into effect on 1 January 2014. The application process was streamlined in April 2016 so that case workers now make a claim for a TILA payment direct to the Department of Human Services without needing prior approval from the DSS TILA Office.

Why are the payments made by the Australian Government Department of Human Services (DHS)?

Payment by DHS streamlines the payment process, ensuring greater flexibility through enabling payment by instalments and facilitates national access.

Who do I contact about applying for TILA?

Young people leaving formal care will need to work with their leaving care case worker to apply for TILA. Please contact the state/territory department that is/was responsible for your care to find out how to apply for TILA.

I’m leaving informal care – am I eligible for TILA?

No, young people leaving informal care are not eligible for TILA and will need to access other support programs to help meet their needs.

What support is available to young people leaving informal care?

They will continue to have access to a range of other Australian Government payments and services, such as Youth Allowance, Reconnect, Youth Connections and Job Services Australia including the Employment Pathways Fund. For more information refer to Support services for young people moving to independent living.

Where can I get more information on TILA?

Information on TILA is available on this website. If you have with any enquiries about the changes to TILA, you can contact the TILA Office:

Last updated: