How Do I Apply?
To register for HCWA, speak with the Autism Advisors in your state or territory
To register for Better Start, contact the Registration and Information Service, run by Carers Australia. More information is available at the Better Start website or call 1800 242 636.
You need to provide the following evidence to support your application:
- the child's age (e.g. the child’s birth certificate or passport)
- the child’s residential address (e.g. a recent utilities bill or rates notice)
- the child’s diagnosis (explained under Eligibility)
- residential status (explained under Eligibility)
- the child's Centrelink generated Customer Reference Number (CRN)
The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) has started in a number of locations across Australia. If you live in an area where the NDIS is active, you should apply to the NDIS rather than HCWA or Better Start. Visit the NDIS website to find out if the NDIS is active in your area as these programmes will transition to the NDIS and gradually close.
Autism - Personal journey
Parents' stories about the challenges of raising a child with ASD
Disability -Personal journey
Parents talk about structuring family life around the needs of their child
Next step: Programme participants