How Do I Apply?

UPDATE: Funding for the Helping Children With Autism (HCWA) and Better Start For Children with Disability (Better Start) programs is transitioning to the National Disability Insurance Scheme and the programs will close on 30 June 2020. Registrations for the HCWA and Better Start programs have progressively closed in states where the NDIS Early Childhood Partners are established. From 15 February 2020, registrations for these programs will be closed nationally. If you are seeking support or information for a child, please contact your local Early Childhood Partner or the NDIA on 1800 800 110.

You need to provide the following evidence to support your application:

  • the child's age (e.g. the child’s birth certificate or passport)
  • the child’s residential address (e.g. a recent utilities bill or rates notice)
  • the child’s diagnosis (explained under Eligibility)
  • residential status (explained under Eligibility)
  • the child's Centrelink generated Customer Reference Number (CRN)

The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) has started in a number of locations across Australia. If you live in an area where the NDIS is active, you should apply to the NDIS rather than HCWA or Better Start. Visit the NDIS website to find out if the NDIS is active in your area as these programmes will transition to the NDIS and gradually close.

Autism - Personal journey

Parents' stories about the challenges of raising a child with ASD

Disability -Personal journey

Parents talk about structuring family life around the needs of their child

Last updated: