Cashless Debit Card – Goldfields region
For Goldfields local partner shopfront locations and opening hours please visit the Indue website.
What area does the Cashless Debit Card cover in the Goldfields region?
The Cashless Debit Card is operating in the local government areas of Kalgoorlie-Boulder, Laverton, Leonora, Coolgardie and the state suburbs of Menzies, Kookynie and Ularring, in the Shire of Menzies.
When did the Cashless Debit Card commence in the Goldfields region?
The Cashless Debit Card commenced in the Goldfields region on 26 March 2018.
Who receives the Cashless Debit Card in the Goldfields region?
People who are recipients of working age payments (for example Newstart Allowance and Youth Allowance) receive the card. Aged Pension and Veterans’ Pension recipients are not included, however they can volunteer to be part of the program. More information about volunteering for the program is available on the volunteer page.
How does the Cashless Debit Card work?
The Cashless Debit Card looks and operates like a regular bank card, except it cannot be used to buy alcohol or gambling products, or to withdraw cash.
For more information about how the card works visit the Cashless Debit Card overview page.
Why the Goldfields region?
The Goldfields region was selected based on the support of community leaders for its introduction and a demonstrable need identified. For example, Western Australian Police data indicated the domestic and non-domestic assault rate in the Goldfields is more than twice the state average. Alcohol is a factor in two thirds of all domestic assaults (2009-13) and half of all non-domestic assaults. Alcohol-related hospitalisations and deaths are 25 per cent higher than the Western Australia state average in 2007-11.
What support services are available for people on the Cashless Debit Card in the Goldfields region?
The Australian Government is making an additional investment of more than $1 million over three years from 2018 - 2021 to ensure that children and families in the Goldfields have a well-targeted, coordinated, effective system of support services, including:
- $1.5m in funding to the Goldfields Rehabilitation Services through the Community Health and Hospitals Program.
- over $900,000 for the Shire of Coolgardie from the Building Better Regions Fund to transform the Post Office building into a Community Hub
There has been an intense effort on the ground in the Goldfields region to transition people onto the card. This includes providing practical financial support.
The Government has also boosted budgeting services in the region to assist participants as they transition onto the card. This includes:
- funding in excess of $1 million to assist people to transition on to the card, along with $125,000 to Centrecare to help CDC participants better manage their finances.
People with the card are able to check their account balance or transaction history and replace lost or stolen cards at no cost. Also at no cost, people are able to receive help including:
- access to the card provider customer support centre
- interactive voice response for balance enquiries, online banking, a mobile phone app and text alerts to keep people informed
- face to face support through local partner shopfronts
People can still use Centrepay and the Rent Deduction Scheme.
For more information, contact the Cashless Debit Card hotline on 1800 252 604 (free call).
- Cashless Debit Card Goldfields region – Media Release
- Cashless Debit Card – Goldfields region factsheet