Employment for People with Disability
The Australian Government is committed to ensuring people with disability receive opportunities to reach their potential through participating in the community and the workforce.
There are two types of specialist agencies to help people with disability find and maintain work:
Australian Disability Enterprises
Australian Disability Enterprises provide real and meaningful employment for people with disability. There are around 20,000 people with disability working in more than 600 Australian Disability Enterprises Australia-wide. The Disability Employment Assistance page provides resources to assist Australian Disability Enterprises.
Australian Disability Enterprises are businesses enabling people with disability to work in a range of industries – from design, printing and packaging, to manufacturing, laundry and landscaping. Employees enjoy the same working conditions as those in the general workforce.
For further information about working in an Australian Disability Enterprise, or for a person in your care:
- call Centrelink on 13 2717
- Australian Disability Enterprises Information for school leavers
- Australian Disability Enterprises Information for parents and carers
Disability Employment Services
Disability Employment Services (DES) deliver employment assistance for job seekers with disability. DES is delivered by a network of organisations around Australia. These organisations play a specialist role in helping people with disability, injury or health condition get ready to look for a job, find a job and keep a job. They offer a range of supports to meet individual needs, including:
- help to prepare for work including training in specific job skills
- job search support such as resume development, interview skills training and help to look for suitable jobs
- support when initially placed into a job, including on-the-job training and co-worker and employer support
- ongoing support in a job if required
- purchase of vocational training and other employment-related assistance
- access to help for an employer if required, such as workplace modifications, support services and Auslan interpreting in the workplace.
DES Program Changes
On Federal Budget night, 9 May 2017, the Government announced changes to Disability Employment Services program. The changes to the program will commence 1 July 2018. Information on the changes to the DES program can be found here.