Integrated Carer Support Service Model
New services to benefit Australia’s unpaid carers will be rolled out from October 2018.
The new services will focus on providing carers with access to early-intervention, preventative and skill building supports, to improve carers well-being and long-term outcomes.
These new services form part of the Integrated Carer Support Service (ICSS) model that will provide carers with new and improved supports and services.
Implementation of the ICSS model will be undertaken in two phases.
From October 2018, new digital services for carers will commence rolling out through the Australian Government’s Carer Gateway website including:
- digital counselling services to help carers manage daily challenges, reduce stress and strain, and plan for the future
- online peer support, connecting carers with other carers for knowledge and experience sharing, emotional support and mentoring
- online coaching resources with simple techniques and strategies for goal-setting and future planning
- educational resources to increase skills and knowledge of carers relating to specific caring situations, to build confidence and improve wellbeing.
These new online services will be designed and tested in consultation with carers and the sector.
From September 2019, the Australian Government will establish a new network of Carer Gateway regional delivery partners across Australia to help carers access new and improved local and targeted services including:
- needs assessment and planning
- targeted financial support packages with a focus on supporting participation in employment and education
- in-person and phone-based coaching, counselling and peer support
- information and advice
- access to emergency crisis support
- assistance with navigating relevant, local services available to carers through federal, state and local government and non-government providers, including the National Disability Insurance Scheme, My Aged Care and palliative care.
A fact sheet on the Integrated Carer Support Service model provides further information.
The Department of Social Services (the Department) will be providing the sector with regular updates and undertaking further consultation with key stakeholders and carers as the implementation of the ICSS progresses.