Carer Supplement is an annual $600 payment and is paid in July each year to recipients of Carer Allowance for each person being cared for. An additional $600 Carer Supplement in July each year is paid to:
- recipients of Carer Payment;
- recipients of both Department of Veterans' Affairs Partner Service Pension and Carer Allowance; and
- recipients of Department of Veterans' Affairs Carer Service Pension.
If an individual is in receipt of both Carer Allowance and Carer Payment, DVA Service Pension or a DVA Carer Service pension, they qualify for two or more Carer Supplement payments.
The Carer Supplement is paid in addition to a person's fortnightly Carer Allowance entitlement, and in addition to any fortnightly income support payment they receive.
For Carer Allowance recipients where more than one carer is sharing the care of one person, the Carer Supplement is shared in the same circumstances and paid in the same ratios as Carer Allowance under existing arrangements. For recipients living in income managed locations, the Carer Supplement is income managed.
Carer Allowance customers whose children entitle them to receive a Health Care Card only are not entitled to receive Carer Supplement.
To find out more about Carer Supplement and your eligibility for this payment:
- visit your nearest Services Australia (Centrelink) office
- telephone 132 717, or
- visit the Services Australia website.