External Merits Review Information
Support for individuals seeking a review of National Disability Insurance Agency decisions in the Administrative Appeals Tribunal.
Do you disagree with a decision of the National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA)?
If you disagree with a decision made by the NDIA you can apply to have the decision reviewed by the NDIA. This is called an internal review. If you still disagree with a decision after an internal review, you can apply to the Administrative Appeals Tribunal (AAT) for an external merits review. The AAT is separate and independent from the NDIA.
What support is available?
When you apply to the AAT you will be told that an independent support person will be able to help you with your application. The support person can assist you to understand the process, attend conferences and hearings with you, and assist you in putting your case to the AAT. As the appeal process may seem overwhelming, the support person may assist you with every aspect of your appeal.
There are support persons available in all NDIS sites. They are available to all AAT applicants and are located at the addresses listed below.
- Brain Injury Association of NSW (Synapse)
- Disability Advocacy NSW
- Disability Advocacy NSW (Nepean Blue Mountains)
- Family Advocacy
- Illawarra Advocacy Incorporated
- Intellectual Disability Rights Service Inc
- Multicultural Disability Advocacy Association of NSW Inc
- Newell Advocacy Inc (Email)
- People With Disability Australia Incorporated
- Self Advocacy (Sydney) Incorporated
- Side By Side Advocacy Incorporated
- Spinal Cord Injuries Australia Ltd
- Sydney Region Aboriginal Corporation (IDAS)
- Brain Injury SA (Barkley)
- Darwin Community Legal Centre
- Disability Advocacy Service Inc
- NPY Women’s Council
- Independent Advocacy in the Tropics Inc
- Queensland Advocacy Incorporated
- Rights in Action
- Speaking Up for You
- Advocacy for Disability Access and Inclusion Inc
- Brain Injury SA
- Disability Advocacy and Complaints Service of South Australia Incorporated
- Disability Rights Advocacy Service Incorporated
- Independent Advocacy SA Incorporated
- Action on Disability within Ethnic Communities
- Action for More Independence & Dignity in Accommodation Inc
- AED Legal
- Disability Justice Advocacy
- Grampians Disability Advocacy
- Leadership Plus
- Rights Information and Advocacy Centre
- Victorian Mental Illness Awareness Council Inc
- Villamanta Disability Rights Legal Service Inc
For full agency details, see the NDIS Appeals Support Person Providers Contact List.
For more information and to access support from AAT visit www.aat.gov.au or call 1300 366 700.
For more information about the NDIS and when it will roll out in your local area, visit www.ndis.gov.au or call 1800 800 110.