Working in the Department with Disability
DSS promotes an accessible and inclusive working environment for people with disability. As a department we recognise that employees with disability have talents, skills and qualifications they can bring to the organisation.
We believe these attributes and having a 'Disability Confidence' helps us shape results, business outputs and customer service.
Senior Level Disability Champion
The role of Senior Level Disability Champion involves:
- championing the interests of employees with disability within the Executive and Senior Leadership Group
- representing the Department at the cross APS Disability Champion meetings
- presenting at internal events on inclusion of people with disability, such as International Day for People with Disability
- engaging with, and attending meetings of the DSS Staff with Disability National Committee
- attending Disability Champion Events such as Champion breakfasts facilitated by the Australian Network on Disability (AND)
- participating in the DSS Disability Leadership group.
Support of people with disability
DSS is committed to assisting people with disability in the workplace to reach full potential by providing a range of services, support groups and awareness programs. The Disability Workforce Action Plan 2015-18 (DWAP) sets out initiatives to position DSS as a workplace of choice for people with disability. Examples of support we provide to prospective and current staff with disability include:
- a dedicated Disability Access Coordinator to assist with complex reasonable adjustment requests
- dedicated centralised funds to cover reasonable adjustment costs for assistive technology and other workplace requirements
- participation in RecruitAbility for vacancies
- providing flexible work arrangements
- supporting a Staff with Disability National Committee and Network
- Secretary representation on the Australian Public Service (APS) Secretaries Board
- representation on the APS Diversity Council Information Communication and Technology (ICT) Accessibility Roundtable.hearing loops, interpreting and captioning services
- an employee Mental Health Portal
- coordination of disability awareness and mental health awareness raising activities, participation in the Australian Network on Disability (AND) – ACT Disability Special Interest Group
- Workplace Adjustment Passport option for employees with disability in the department
- recognising employees who have made a significant contribution to disability issues in the department by the presentation of a People with Disability Award Scheme.
For further information please email firstname.lastname@example.org