Working in the Department with Disability
DSS promotes an accessible and inclusive working environment for people with disability. As a department we recognise that employees with disability have talents, skills and qualifications they can bring to the organisation.
We believe these attributes and having a 'Disability Confidence' helps us shape results, business outputs and customer service.
Senior Level Disability Champion
Deputy Secretary Felicity Hand is currently the Senior Level Disability Champion for DSS employees with disability. The role of Senior Level Disability Champion involves:
- championing the interests of employees with disability within the executive and Senior Leadership Group;
- presenting at internal events on inclusion of people with disability, such as International Day for People with Disability;
- attending Disability Champion Events such as Champion breakfasts facilitated by the Australian Network on Disability (AND); and
- participating in the DSS Disability Leadership group.
Support of people with disability
DSS is committed to assisting people with disability in the workplace to reach full potential by providing a range of services, support groups and awareness programs. Examples of support we provide to prospective and current staff with disability include:
- a dedicated Disability Access Coordinator to confidentially discuss and arrange any requirements;
- dedicated centralised funds to cover reasonable adjustment costs for assistive technology and other workplace requirements;
- Secretary representation on the Australian Public Service (APS) Diversity Council;
- representation on the APS Diversity Council Information Communication and Technology (ICT) Accessibility Roundtable.hearing loops, interpreting and captioning services;
- an employee Mental Health Portal;
- coordination of disability awareness, mental health, and live captioning training for employees;
- participation in the Australian Network on Disability (AND) – ACT Disability Special Interest Group; and
- participation in the AND Reasonable Adjustment Passport Pilot.
For further information please email firstname.lastname@example.org.