Working in the Department with Disability
DSS promotes an accessible and inclusive working environment for people with disability. As a department we recognise that employees with disability have talents, skills and qualifications they can bring to the organisation.
We believe these attributes and having a 'Disability Confidence' helps us shape results, business outputs and customer service.
Senior Level Disability Champion
Deputy Secretary Felicity Hand is currently the Senior Level Disability Champion for DSS employees with disability. The role of Senior Level Disability Champion involves:
- championing the interests of employees with disability within the Executive and Senior Leadership Group
- representing the Department at the cross APS Disability Champion meetings
- presenting at internal events on inclusion of people with disability, such as International Day for People with Disability
- engaging with, and attending meetings of the DSS Staff with Disability National Committee
- attending Disability Champion Events such as Champion breakfasts facilitated by the Australian Network on Disability (AND)
- participating in the DSS Disability Leadership group.
Support of people with disability
DSS is committed to assisting people with disability in the workplace to reach full potential by providing a range of services, support groups and awareness programs. The Disability Workforce Action Plan 2015-18 (DWAP) sets out initiatives to position DSS as a workplace of choice for people with disability. Examples of support we provide to prospective and current staff with disability include:
- a dedicated Disability Access Coordinator to assist with complex reasonable adjustment requests
- dedicated centralised funds to cover reasonable adjustment costs for assistive technology and other workplace requirements
- participation in RecruitAbility for vacancies
- providing flexible work arrangements
- supporting a Staff with Disability National Committee and Network
- Secretary representation on the Australian Public Service (APS) Secretaries Board
- representation on the APS Diversity Council Information Communication and Technology (ICT) Accessibility Roundtable.hearing loops, interpreting and captioning services
- an employee Mental Health Portal
- coordination of disability awareness and mental health awareness raising activities, participation in the Australian Network on Disability (AND) – ACT Disability Special Interest Group
- Workplace Adjustment Passport option for employees with disability in the department
- recognising employees who have made a significant contribution to disability issues in the department by the presentation of a People with Disability Award Scheme.
For further information please email firstname.lastname@example.org