What we Offer
DSS is committed to assisting employees with a work-life balance that recognises the family, carers and personal commitments of our employees. We offer a range of flexible and family friendly working arrangements and a suite of attractive employment conditions. Our conditions are detailed in the DSS Enterprise Agreement 2018 to 2021.
Some of the benefits of working with us include:
Attractive salary arrangements
- negotiable salary entry points and remuneration packages
- 15.4 per cent superannuation
- salary sacrificing including for superannuation.
DSS offers a range of professional learning and development opportunities including a leadership development program, training courses, e-learning, study assistance and short time placements at higher levels.
Family friendly and work life balance provisions
- annual leave - 20 days per year for holidays or other personal events
- personal leave - 18 days per year for personal illness, injury, caring and emergency purposes
- purchased leave - enables employees to 'purchase' additional leave to care for children during school holidays or to take an extended break from work
- maternity leave - 12 months leave for new mothers
- parental leave - leave for either parent to care for their new born child
- adoptive leave - leave for either parent when they adopt a child
- long service leave - three months leave on full pay plus an additional 9 days per year after 10 years of service
- sabbatical leave - allows employees to spread their salary over a five year period at 80 per cent so they can work for four years and take the fifth on leave
- Christmas and Easter closedown - employees are able to enjoy some extra time away from work without deduction from their leave credits
- Employee Assistance Program - a counselling service available to all employees and their immediate families to assist with personal and work related problems
- Carers Rooms - where possible, we provide Carers Rooms which staff can use if they are unable to provide alternative short-term care for dependants in emergency or unforeseen circumstances
- flex time - enables employees to vary work hours and patterns of attendance to provide the flexibility to balance work/life commitments without deduction from leave credits
- assistance with relocation costs - eligible employees who are required to relocate to take up duty with the Department may receive assistance with relocation expenses.
- part-time employment - supports employees who cannot, or do not wish to, work full time
Supporting diversity, good health and wellbeing
- cultural leave - Supports Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander employees to take part in activities associated with their culture, including NAIDOC week celebrations
- health and wellbeing - DSS provides a voluntary free annual influenza vaccination for all of our staff
- personal leave - personal leave for caring purposes may be approved for an employee to care for a member of their immediate family or household who is ill or injured or requires care or support because of an unexpected emergency. Medical or supporting documentation must be provided to access personal leave
- volunteer leave - DSS may grant leave to employees who wish to take short periods of time away from DSS to assist community organisations.