Centrelink access sites - continuation of funding
Portfolio: Human Services
Why is this important?
- Centrelink agents help to improve services to Indigenous customers and communities in rural and remote Australia.
- Since 2003, the 50 agent sites have provided around 56,000 customer interactions, and facilitated around 120,000 telephone calls related to government services per year.
Who will benefit?
- The measure will benefit families and individuals in need of Centrelink assistance, particularly Indigenous communities and individuals in rural and remote communities.
- Many of the agent sites are the only Australian Government service located in these remote communities.
What funding is the Government committing to the initiative?
- The Government will provide $12.5 million over four years.
What have we done in the past?
- In the 2003 Budget the Federal Government provided four year funding for an extra 50 agent sites.
When will the initiative conclude?
- This measure is ongoing.