- The Commonwealth Government is providing $1.6 million in 2010-11 to improve Indigenous employment, recruitment and retention practices in Commonwealth public sector bodies employing workers outside the Australian Public Service Act 1999 (non APS organisations).
- This funding will provide resources and support to assist non APS organisations to build their capacity to recruit and retain Indigenous employees and develop mechanisms to support monitoring and reporting on Indigenous employment in this sector.
- Under the National Partnership Agreement on Indigenous Economic Participation, the Commonwealth has committed to achieving a 2.7 per cent target for Indigenous employment across the Commonwealth public sector, to reflect the Indigenous working age population share.
- This measure aims to increase Indigenous employment in non APS organisations and assist in meeting the 2.7 per cent target for Indigenous employment in the Commonwealth public sector.
- From July 2010, this initiative will provide non APS organisations with:
- assistance with capacity building in Indigenous employment
- resource packs
- guidance on planning and implementing an Indigenous employment strategy
- a leadership panel for providing advice and promoting best practice
- means by which to monitor and report on the success of Indigenous employment strategies.
Total Government Funding
- The Commonwealth Government is committing $1.6 million in 2010‑11 to this initiative.
Content Updated: 23 May 2012