Have your say about a National Indigenous Representative Body - Submission WS01
Objectives and principles
- Are there objectives or principles (not identified in the community guide paper) that should guide the national representative body?
Roles and functions
- Are there roles and functions (not identified in the community guide paper) that the national representative body should perform?
I wish to discuss the evaluative role the proposed body is to perform.
This role is already duplicated within the Deparment of Finance’s Office of Evaluation and Audit (Indigenous Programs)(OEA).
There should be a clear distinction on the proposed body’s role relating to this and OEA’s current role. How is it proposed that OEA remain in existence if this is the proposed structure for the rep body. Will it remain at Finance or will it move to the rep body, will it be similar functions or will it differ.
The proposed rep body should ensure that these roles are not duplicated or provide a discussion paper detailing the duplication and proposed way forward.
Representing Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and communities
- How should the national representative body be informed by developments at the local and regional levels?
- Should it include regional representative mechanisms as part of its structure? If so, how would they operate?
- What other mechanisms should or could the representative body use to engage at a regional and local level?
- How should the national representative body engage with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples at a state/territory level?
- How should the national representative body provide a voice to Torres Strait Islanders, including those living on the mainland?
- What mechanisms should the national representative body use to ensure that traditionally marginalised groups (such as people with disabilities, members of the stolen generations and young people) have a say in the new body?
Structure of the National Representative body
- How should the members of the national representative body be selected? Should it be by election or delegation, or a combination of these? Please explain or draw how your preferred model would operate.
- What skills and experience should candidates for positions on the national body possess? What processes should be used to determine whether a candidate has these skills and is appropriate to be selected?
Relationship with government and the Parliament
- How should the national representative body be established? What relationship should it have with government and the Parliament? What potential limitations and constraints may result from the body being established and operating in a particular way
- How should the national representative body be funded to ensure that it is sustainable?