Aboriginals Benefit Account (ABA)
The money is used for the benefit of Aboriginal people living in the Northern Territory. This includes payments for:
- initiatives of benefit to Aboriginal people living in the Northern Territory (beneficial payments)
- distribution to traditional land owners (Royalty Associations) who are affected by mining operations on their land
- support for the administration of the Northern Territory Land Councils
- support for the acquisition and administration of land leases through the Office of Township Leasing
- support for the administration of the ABA
The Minister for Families, Community Services and Indigenous Affairs can direct money to be withdrawn from the ABA to be used for the benefit of Aboriginal people living in the Northern Territory. The Aboriginals Benefit Account Advisory Committee advises the Minister in relation to these payments.