The Northern Territory Emergency Response (NTER) Taskforce was appointed by the former Australian Government to provide advice and oversee the implementation of the emergency measures in their first year.
The Taskforce's Terms of Reference were to:
- provide expert advice to the Australian Government on the implementation of the emergency response
- oversee the NTER Operations Centre
- promote public understanding of the issues involved
- alert government to current and emerging issues that relate directly to the implementation of the response
- report to the Prime Minister and the Minister for Families, Housing, Community Services and Indigenous Affairs on the progress of the NTER.
The Taskforce comprised professional men and women with experience in indigenous affairs, medical care, social policy, government, business and the law. It was chaired by Dr Sue Gordon with Major General Dave Chalmers as its Operational Commander. The other members at 30 June 2008 were Dr William Glasson AO, Mr Roger Corbett AO, Ms Miriam Rose Baumann AM, Mr Mike Burgess and Mr Terry Moran AO.
The Taskforce's term ran from 21 June 2007 to 30 June 2008. The Taskforce provided the Australian Government with a final report including recommendations in June 2008.