National Rental Affordability Scheme
The National Rental Affordability Scheme (NRAS or the Scheme) is a partnership between the Australian Government and the states and territories to invest in affordable rental housing.
The Scheme, which commenced in 2008, seeks to address the shortage of affordable rental housing by offering financial incentives to persons or entities such as the business sector and community organisations to build and rent dwellings to low and moderate income households at a rate that is at least 20 per cent below the market value rent.
NRAS aims to:
- increase the supply of new affordable rental housing
- reduce rental costs for low and moderate income households
- encourage large-scale investment and innovative delivery of affordable housing.
Latest news and events
08 August 2014
Currently there are a high number of NRAS Incentive claims being processed by the Department. Processing of claims will happen once all relevant information has been provided by the approved participant and assessed by the NRAS payments team.
Once the assessment process is completed, cash or Refundable Tax Offset certificates will be issued to the approved participant.
If you are not an approved participant, and would like further information please contact your approved participant directly.
06 June 2014
URGENT NOTICE: NRAS scam in QLD. Please read the full notification:
13 May 2014
In the 2014-15 Budget, the Government announced that it will not proceed with Round 5 of the National Rental Affordability Scheme. This page provides answers to some of the questions regarding this decision.
If you have any feedback, concerns or complaints about the administration or delivery of NRAS or actions of NRAS Approved Participants, please contact the NRAS Helpdesk:
- Phone: 1800 334 505 (9:00am – 4:00pm Monday to Friday AEST)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
NRAS Frequently Asked Questions
Information for NRAS participants, investors and tenancy managers
- List of approved NRAS participants (refer to the latest NRAS performance report)
- NRAS incentive (indexation)
- NRAS household income (indexation)
- NRAS calls for applications (Rounds)
- Information for NRAS participants
- Information for NRAS private individual investors
- Information for banks and financial institutions
Information for NRAS tenants
NRAS legislation, regulations and policy guidelines
NRAS performance reporting
Glossary of Terms